Thread: Trane xl20i design

Post Likes

Trane xl20i design

We have a client who wants an xl20i. We have contracted to install a 3 ton with complete new duct work and MERV 16 filter.

Any tips on this design? We had gone with the match that makes 18.6 SEER, however I have been reading about the latent capacity problems with this oversized coil and am concerned about the performance characteristics.

Any advice? I have installed units for 10 years, but this is the first xl20i and it needs to be perfect. My tech rep has not e mailed me back so I opened it up to you guys.

Please load me up with good info. If you are ignorant or want to make a stupid comment that is not helpful, please go somewhere else and do it.

Post Likes
    I am a installer for my dads air conditioning company and I have put in about 4 of these systems this year already (communicating system). I am not sure what you mean about design...but you have to make sure you have enough return air (extremely important). We always have to add more return air in almost every system we install. We have had nothing but compliments on how the system runs and how much humidity they pull out. Pulling out more humidity means they can leave the t-stat set higher and still be very comfortable....saving on electric!! This may have not helped you but I love the new Trane systems. One thing though....check every wire connection in the condensing unit before you start it up. At least one out of three communicating systems has a loose wire that has fallen off a board due to shipping and it can really throw you off during start up. I had a wire hanging off a the board yesterday in fact. Good luck!!

Post Likes
    is the setting of the dip switches like reading the encyclopedia brittanica ? We are going to design the perfect duct system using manual D software, so I am absolutely confident in that part. Is the communicating system simple to install, of course we do not want to look as if this were our first rodeo.

My desing concern was if the latent capacity was not high on the match that I have chosen. I read someone saying that their unit did not dehumidify well because of the match....that sounds like more of an installation issue than anything else. I cannot imagine that Trane would make a match that did not dehumidify well, especially 2-stage units, however I am not wanting to take a chance. We are in a very humid state.

How does that charge assist thing work too? Appreciate your input.

Post Likes
    Do you have the specs on the SHR with the coil match your using.

With the first stage compressor being a 1.5 ton, you shouldn't have latent capacity problems.

Its not a 16i running at 80% of full capacity in first stage.

Post Likes
    I would not think you would have latent removal problems with a 100/50 unit either. I need to get the specs tomorrow. This unit should run as a 1.5 ton for the majority of the time, right?

Post Likes
    Should run mostly in first stage. With jumps to second and back down to first as it gets hotter outside.

Post Likes
    I think most of the humidity removal issues you were reading about pertained to the XL16i. The XL20i should be much better. Any unit running for that long in low stage should not have any issues dehumidifying, and, the TCONT900 thermostat will specifically run the unit as needed to meet the humidity set point.

I am not an expert on the Charge Assist, but from what I understand, you can order the solenoid ball valve kit to charge the unit automatically, or you can charge it manually. Regardless, the control board will tell you when the unit is properly charged with an LED light.

As beenthere said, in a few years, they'll be telling you if they're installing correctly too...hopefully.

Post Likes
    I/we have worked with a number of the 20i units and they perform well, most of your set up will be to the E or Auto Discover option. There are a few things that I do like to customize based on experience with regard to fan speed options and cycle rates but for the most part you will be fine with the typical setup.

The unit performs well with few, if any issues. The only problems noted have been in regard to using existing wires. I would highly recommend that you install new 18 gauge wire to avoid any comm issues due to age, nicks, etc.

Good Luck I think you and your customer will be pleased.

Post Likes

it's a very nice system

yes i have seen a wire off of the condenser control board from shipping as stated

have not had any issues where control wiring had to be changed

no dip switches need to be adjusted, this is one of the advantage's of the communicating system

but as stated, if custom airfolows are needed, it is easily done

Tranes controller, can do modifications that other brands of communicating equipment simply can not do

Post Likes

dips

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    it's a very nice system

no dip switches need to be adjusted, this is one of the advantage's of the communicating system

There are one set of dip switches in the condensing unit that need to be set for charging purposes based on line set length. Before you start the system open the service papers and it will show you...set dip switch (1) for line sets less than 25ft...Dip (2) for line sets 25-65ft.....etc.....that was just an example..dont hold me to those exact numbers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    is the setting of the dip switches like reading the encyclopedia brittanica ? We are going to design the perfect duct system using manual D software, so I am absolutely confident in that part. Is the communicating system simple to install, of course we do not want to look as if this were our first rodeo.

My desing concern was if the latent capacity was not high on the match that I have chosen. I read someone saying that their unit did not dehumidify well because of the match....that sounds like more of an installation issue than anything else. I cannot imagine that Trane would make a match that did not dehumidify well, especially 2-stage units, however I am not wanting to take a chance. We are in a very humid state.

How does that charge assist thing work too? Appreciate your input.
    Only one set of dip switches need to be set in the condensing unit. You only have to set (1) switch. Look at service papers before you start up system and it shows you Everything step by step. Wiring: Only 2 low voltage wires at the condensing unit and (3) at the t-stat (love it!!). If you were to have a short and blow a fuse...REMEMBER there is a fuse behind the communicating window. I had a short one time I couldnt figure out because the fuse on the transformer was fine..but later found the other fuse behind the communication LCD screen blown. IF the other unit you read about wasnt dehumidifying enough..it MUST have been a installation problem.

As far as the charge assist.....save yourself some money and dont buy the solenoid kit. I have one and use it only when I have ALOT of time on hand. It has taken up to 2 hours to charge before.....What i do now is put the system in charge mode (you do this by hold the status button down for a few seconds) but I charge the system manually till the system says "Charged." It will take a couple of times for you to get used to everything...but once you do...its a Very nice piece of equipment. PS...the only thing you have to set on the t-stat is time and date....and remember..the old t-stat the customer could take off the wall, sit down and program them....you cant do this with the comm system...the t-stat shuts off once you pull it off the wall.....Good Luck!!

Post Likes

MERV 16 filter

Educate yourself-

1. What is the maximum velocity of that unit?
    2. What kind of pressure drop will a MERV 16 filter have.
    3. What kind of adverse effect could this filter have?
    4. How can I use this filter and keep the performance up?
    5. Will one filter work? Or should I use two?
    6. What size should my filter rack be and where is it going to fit?

Answer these questions and you will have a successful install.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAir View Post
    There are one set of dip switches in the condensing unit that need to be set for charging purposes based on line set length. Before you start the system open the service papers and it will show you...set dip switch (1) for line sets less than 25ft...Dip (2) for line sets 25-65ft.....etc.....that was just an example..dont hold me to those exact numbers.
    oh, ya, Metro is right

i forgot about those

Post Likes
    That filter will drop about .2 clean and .3 dirty. I figure if I oversize the return as much as the space allows I should be OK. I like to put 2 of these filters in parallel but this space is not good for that.

By the way does anyonw have access to the manuals and specs for this unit? We are installing it Monday. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Good luck with the dual Mexi-pricating compressors!?! All Climatuff recips are being made in Monterey, Mexico now. I'm still waiting for one of these systems to actually make 20 SEER!?!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in