Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noisy Lennox compressor ideas?

Hey guys had one I wanted to bounce off the collective. Two, 410a 5 ton Lennox split systems. They are just over a year old and have been running great. I get a call from the building owner about a loud vibrating noise coming from the roof. One unit sounds like it always has, but the other is super loud. It sounds like a compressor, just 3 or 4 times as loud. It has never sounded like this before. Any ideas? The units cycle normal and the computer room is at temp. Suction pressure is about 100 and discharge ranges from 210 to 410 with the Lennox fan cycle control.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Questions,
    It's it on a rooftop, air handler below? Is there an oil trap?
    Could be food back to crankcase?
    Do the air filters get changed?
    What was od temp?
    Watch the head pressure with that fan cycle control, Big range! 210-410.

Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    Hey guys had one I wanted to bounce off the collective. Two, 410a 5 ton Lennox split systems. They are just over a year old and have been running great. I get a call from the building owner about a loud vibrating noise coming from the roof. One unit sounds like it always has, but the other is super loud. It sounds like a compressor, just 3 or 4 times as loud. It has never sounded like this before. Any ideas? The units cycle normal and the computer room is at temp. Suction pressure is about 100 and discharge ranges from 210 to 410 with the Lennox fan cycle control.
    You want us to fix it for you too, while we are in front of the computer monitor ??? If the answer is yes, then do you want us to spend your pay check too while we are at it ??

Get the nut screw driver and open the damn thing up and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    You want us to fix it for you too, while we are in front of the computer monitor ??? If the answer is yes, then do you want us to spend your pay check too while we are at it ??

Get the nut screw driver and open the damn thing up and find out.
    Check yourself! Are you for real?

Sorry to ask for some input on a hvac forum.

with out the help of "just_opinion"

Changed out the compressor and the noise went away, found the superheat way low. TXV is non-adjustabe obviously caused some flood back and washed out the bearings. I can't believe a non-adjustable TXV is on a unit in a server room.

Has anyone besides "just_opinion" ran into problems with these newer 410a S series Lennox units? These units have been poopers, from leaking coils to blown fan cycles switches, and now this. 1 1/2 years old nice. Thanks Dave!

Really?? Non adjustable on a server? I wonder who thought that was a good idea. Are these weak parts from off-shore sources?? I can't help but wonder about the wisdom of manufacturers that seem to be playing "How low can we go." Good diagnosis.

I am curious, does the fan cycle still operate in the range that you gave us 210-410. Is this normal for Lennox? Sux that you had to change out a year old compressor. Do you have to change the txv?

The fan cycle is from the factory, and if you actually read the switch it is 225 -450. I ordered a txv and I'll be putting it in asap. I tried putting in one of those cheap ICM fan cycle controls, but it ended up reacting much the same. It almost needs something like a P66.

Check yourself! Are you for real?

Sorry to ask for some input on a hvac forum.
    Look at your original post man.
    What kind of question is that ????
    You did not even give any info. Not even the model.

And you ask us for F@#$ inputs.
    And you call yourself a F@#$% tech.

You gotta be F#$$^ kidding me right ??

Have anyone ever seen a car mechanic asks another mechanic -- "My have Chevy that is noisy. Can you give me some inputs to the problem ??"

with out the help of "just_opinion"

Changed out the compressor and the noise went away, found the superheat way low. TXV is non-adjustabe obviously caused some flood back and washed out the bearings. I can't believe a non-adjustable TXV is on a unit in a server room.

Has anyone besides "just_opinion" ran into problems with these newer 410a S series Lennox units? These units have been poopers, from leaking coils to blown fan cycles switches, and now this. 1 1/2 years old nice. Thanks Dave!
    No issues as of yet...did tech advice give you any ideas? Your new compressor will probably have the same fate if you do not find the issue.I only have one of these units to compare with.

Hi

Just curious what type of compressor is in there?

Quote Originally Posted by dangpgt97 View Post
    Hi

Just curious what type of compressor is in there?
    Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    No issues as of yet...did tech advice give you any ideas? Your new compressor will probably have the same fate if you do not find the issue.I only have one of these units to compare with.
    Lennox said it needed a adjustable txv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast