Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks all for the informative discussion. Quickcat, that was also my confusion since the AS literature says "operates quietly and efficiently with its multispeed blower motor" but it is called "Freedon 80 High Efficiency Single-Stage Furnace". My contractor said the blower motor is multispeed since he will set its speed for 1600 cfm for the 4ton A/C when the system is installed, but it blows at a constant speed.

I was disappointed in this since I have heard good things about multi-speed (2-stage) furnaces (comfort and saving $$). But it looks like the for AS 2-stage furnaces the stages are usually 65% and 100% x BTUs so it is only a 35% stepdown anyway rather than the 50% I had thought. I did ask if it could be modded afterwards (thermostat or circuit board easy?) for 2-stage operation but his answer was no.

I do not know if the AS system is less efficient with 2-stage/VS blowers or if AS just did not test and qualify it for the Fed Tax Credit.

To be installed (AHRI 3438368): Allegiance 15 4A7A5048E1/4TXFH004BS3HHA/AUD1C080A9H41B.

I am being supplied the ACONT800 thermostat but I did ask for the HW VisionPRO IAQ as mentioned on this site. I was told the 800 was the same as the IAQ except the IAQ has some features that this system would not use and that AS requires an AS thermostat to get the 10/10/10 warranty anyways.

Another question I have: My old furnace was a 100,000 BTU Consolidated (~65% eff?) so with the new 80,000 BTU furnace (80% eff) I should have the same amount of heat in the house since 100k x 0.65 ~ 80k x 0.80. Is this correct? The old furnace was just fine for heat.

Thanks, David

Variable speed and 2-speed are entirely different things. I don't have time right now to expand on that, but it has been discussed many times before. Pay attention to what they say about humidity control with VS air handlers (i.e. furnaces).

Best of luck -- Pstu

Quote Originally Posted by davidcayll View Post
    Thanks all for the informative discussion. Quickcat, that was also my confusion since the AS literature says "operates quietly and efficiently with its multispeed blower motor" but it is called "Freedon 80 High Efficiency Single-Stage Furnace". My contractor said the blower motor is multispeed since he will set its speed for 1600 cfm for the 4ton A/C when the system is installed, but it blows at a constant speed.

I was disappointed in this since I have heard good things about multi-speed (2-stage) furnaces (comfort and saving $$). But it looks like the for AS 2-stage furnaces the stages are usually 65% and 100% x BTUs so it is only a 35% stepdown anyway rather than the 50% I had thought. I did ask if it could be modded afterwards (thermostat or circuit board easy?) for 2-stage operation but his answer was no.

I do not know if the AS system is less efficient with 2-stage/VS blowers or if AS just did not test and qualify it for the Fed Tax Credit.

To be installed (AHRI 3438368): Allegiance 15 4A7A5048E1/4TXFH004BS3HHA/AUD1C080A9H41B.

I am being supplied the ACONT800 thermostat but I did ask for the HW VisionPRO IAQ as mentioned on this site. I was told the 800 was the same as the IAQ except the IAQ has some features that this system would not use and that AS requires an AS thermostat to get the 10/10/10 warranty anyways.

Another question I have: My old furnace was a 100,000 BTU Consolidated (~65% eff?) so with the new 80,000 BTU furnace (80% eff) I should have the same amount of heat in the house since 100k x 0.65 ~ 80k x 0.80. Is this correct? The old furnace was just fine for heat.

Thanks, David
    You don't have to use the AS stat for the system to have the 10 year warranty on it. Now, the Honeywell stat will be covered by Honeywell not AS and I believe their warranty is only 5 years but everything else would have 10 years, if registered.

American Standard Condenser Installed

Hi all,
    Installed (AHRI 3438368): Allegiance 15 4A7A5048E1/4TXFH004BS3HHA/AUD1C080A9H41B. ACONT800 thermostat.

Well I did get the AS system described above installed last April 2010 and for the efficiency part I have been pleased.

We have been through 2 Houston summers now and the high electric bills went from about two-sixty to one-forty a month. The contractor did perform a Manual J assessment and confirmed a 4-ton unit size.

The big gripe I have about the AS unit is the noise, with a big clunk at start and bigger clunk at stopping - first sounded like the compressor supports had come loose. And when running it has the standard a buzz sound. This unit sounds noisier than the old 13-year old unit it replaced and this was suppose to be the higher end AS unit. After being installed 3-4 months I noticed it sounder louder than when first installed. I actually thought the supports/mounts were loose. The contractor came out and checked the supports and bolts holding it down and said they were OK. The technicans say the noise is normal but it sure seems not sound the same as when first installed. It was inspected this spring and I asked again about the noise and they said it is normal noise. But I wonder if the compressor is bad and going to crap out in the middle of a summer. I have the 10/10/10 warranty but it will still be hot.

I will never buy another AS condenser unit. Any comments on the noise this AS unit is suppose to make? Are these efficient compressor units suppose to make more noise?

Thanks, David

Quote Originally Posted by davidcayll View Post
    Hi all,
    Installed (AHRI 3438368): Allegiance 15 4A7A5048E1/4TXFH004BS3HHA/AUD1C080A9H41B. ACONT800 thermostat.

Well I did get the AS system described above installed last April 2010 and for the efficiency part I have been pleased.

We have been through 2 Houston summers now and the high electric bills went from about two-sixty to one-forty a month. The contractor did perform a Manual J assessment and confirmed a 4-ton unit size.

The big gripe I have about the AS unit is the noise, with a big clunk at start and bigger clunk at stopping - first sounded like the compressor supports had come loose. And when running it has the standard a buzz sound. This unit sounds noisier than the old 13-year old unit it replaced and this was suppose to be the higher end AS unit. After being installed 3-4 months I noticed it sounder louder than when first installed. I actually thought the supports/mounts were loose. The contractor came out and checked the supports and bolts holding it down and said they were OK. The technicans say the noise is normal but it sure seems not sound the same as when first installed. It was inspected this spring and I asked again about the noise and they said it is normal noise. But I wonder if the compressor is bad and going to crap out in the middle of a summer. I have the 10/10/10 warranty but it will still be hot.

I will never buy another AS condenser unit. Any comments on the noise this AS unit is suppose to make? Are these efficient compressor units suppose to make more noise?

Thanks, David
    I also recently bought the Allegiance 15 unit, with matching coil when the old system's coil developed a leak. The unit I have is quiet, without the clunk sounds you mention. At least I have not noticed them. The literature clearly states the Allegiance 15 is designed to be very quiet, I think they are telling the truth. I have two systems and the other is Allegiance 18, it makes a distinct clunk sound when changing speeds from low to high -- which I think is normal. I would not hesitate to choose this brand again.

This is awkward to say, but your original tech may be reluctant to find any fault with what he does. That was my experience. Upon working with a new tech, two or three things were pointed out to me which could have certainly been better. One was a Thermal Expansion Valve (TXV) attached to copper pipe using tape, and the system for several years had long run times and relatively poor humidity control. The new tech told me it could not be properly charged, found and changed the TXV mounting to a metal bracket, and then charge could be done per Trane specifications. The result was much shorter run times and much better humidity removal (about 5% RH in the house). I suppose the message is like what Reagan said about the Soviets, "trust but verify". I do not see how you can verify certain problems without a second professional laying eyes and hands on the system.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12