Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hi Got my feeler hurt on this one. Got a call ice machine low on ice beeping 3 time interv. Sent my newly hired grocery store tech out on it. He called cant find problem. I thought I'll show you how its done. Man was I wrong. I check for leaky water sol, blew out cond, unplugged cond fan went up to 375psi, unplugged liquid sol and bypass sol pulled into vac, pulled out charge & recharged with fresh 22 to factory spec. It takes 60 min to make a batch, harvest near norm. Here are the vitals @ 5min into freeze
    Suction 61psi should be 38
    high 205psi should be 245
    amb 80º
    suction lines at evap 26º
    discharge 178º
    both side of hot gas valve 82º
    bypass ok
    compressor pulling 7amp.
    Call factory tech talked to at least 3 of them they were no help.
    I told store manager he had a weak compressor. I found out later he call mister Big out to fix it he didnt.
    Got any ideas Its prob something so simple easy overlooked. Thanks
    Because chicks dig it.

sounds like possible bad txv. after 60 min freeze is cube size correct? how long is harvest cycle?

This unit has 2 evap I checked temp on both and they are very close to same temp in and out.(I guess they both could go bad at same time.)
    the cube appears to be the correct size.
    harvest is about 5min.
    The more I learn the less I know. I have fixed alot of these over the yrs. Been a long time since I said I'm not sure.
    Because chicks dig it.

Before you do anything take the top off and look at the water distribution tubes and how the water is falling. I had one doing much the same thing and the tubes were full of calcium. What surprised me was how new the machines were.

A month before that the water had wrecked the dish washer.

These machines also had the double filter on them.

[Edited by James 3528 on 05-16-2004 at 06:22 AM]

Originally posted by weatherpro
    sounds like possible bad txv. after 60 min freeze is cube size correct? how long is harvest cycle?
    Nope, if that TXV fails, the suction would be in the toilet, not the stratosphere.

Do what James said, and go in armed with Lime-Away.

Long shot

Have had bad comp. run capacitors on several machines latley. Does the water pump reverse in defrost and pump out sump.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

With that high suction and low discharge pressure I would say you've got a broken valve in the compressor. When you said the suction went into a vacuum when you closed the LLS did it go to 15-20" ? That would stump me, too.

Check the compressor amperage against the compressor mfr curves. It's probably a Copeland CR hermetic, so the performance info is available on Copeland's website. Lower amps than what the curves show at those conditions will confirm the bad pump. Good luck.

Thanks for all your replies;
    The maint man lime away the machine every 3 months and the day before they call me. Don't mean he got it clean.
    Self I didnt ck the reverse at defrost. Something to look at next time if there is a next time.
    Ice I had about 10" vac and plugged lls in. It was at 7amp the manual said it should be around 11amp at 5min into freeze.
    CR30K6-PFV-230
    Dave your prob right the darn thing is filthy. BTW I dont much care for ragheads they got me once.
    Anybody that would wear a diaper on their head ain't quite right/
    Because chicks dig it.

I did the same thing. I ran cleaner in it before I found out how bad it was. Had to take it apart.

Sounds like a

Bad compressor or hot gas defrost valve leaking through.
    If ya shut off the receiver valve will the compressor pull down?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Doesn't Hoshi have a 60 minute batch saftey lockout on the board??

Hoshi Harvests on water level. Hoshis are all about water. That FLOAT in the front. More so than any other machine, I always concenstrate on my water first with a Hoshi. Even if the machine is clean. Slow production can be traced to refrigeration, but always on a Hoshi start with your water side and eliminate that.

First. Water temp in? What is it.

Second, As your machine is making ice is the ice pattern consistent forming? Hoshis pattern is to start there cubes on top and as the water falls and is colder the bottom catches up. This can also be figured out at how it's piped.

If your consistent, is your level falling down on that float? Are you actually taking that water and putting it on the coil, and if you are and your level aint dropping, it might be possible that water inlet solenoid is leaking by. Very Very common. The board don't know that. After 60 minutes she is going to harvest regardless of the floats position. And after it does that 3 times it's going to lock out. The board is looking for that float to make the switch to tell the board, okay all my ice is on coil and out of resevoir. It needs to see that inside of 60 minutes. if not she'll harvest automatically. Every Hoshi is this way with every board I have ever touched. So if the water aint leaking by causing the float not to fall and open the switch, is the float actually opening. Those damn things get crudded up and the float will actually stick and stay in the full position even though water aint there to hold it up.

Best way to tell if you got a bad reed valve on an ice machine is watch your suction during batch and shut your water pump down. That suction should drop off a cliff very consistently but not too fast. It'll just start going down and down and find a basment somehwere. Now if you see it go way down you got other problems.

Hoshi's are awesome machines. Best by a long shot. In there handboks they have a ten minute check out procedure to do. Works like a dream. I use to work on about 300 of these a year. I love em.

I like everything you said there Dow, but the one thing that really gets me is that 61# suction and 205# discharge during freeze. This thing's been checked for water leak-by, HG leak-by, etc. All that stuff. A stuck float at 60 minutes on a good machine = freezeup, wouldn't you think?

I've seen extremely dirty Hoshi's and Hoshi's with the evaps coming apart with tube separation, but you don't get the conditions described here without having a bad pump as the final diagnosis.

That's my bet......bad pump.

Whoa there BUB,

I did not see 60# suction. Okay then. Holy crap I gotta slow down and read these post more slowly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast