Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior

Question AOP Residential .vs. Residential????

Please explain what this new "AOP Residential" is and how it differs from the old "Residential" that has been around forever. I am not a pro, but I have spent lots of time on this forum and frequently share thoughts. I usually make it clear that I am not a "pro". I have been a HO for many years in a variety of homes in various parts of the USA.

Ops! Can't correct spelling in thread title once posted. Why is that?
    Last edited by Dad; 07-23-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Twilly says you got to have an EPA card to correct spellin....
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post

Twilly says you got to have an EPA card to correct spellin....
    Twilly; You're the best medicine available...

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    Please explain what this new "AOP Residential" is and how it differs from the old "Residential" that has been around forever. I am not a pro, but I have spent lots of time on this forum and frequently share thoughts. I usually make it clear that I am not a "pro". I have been a HO for many years in a variety of homes in various parts of the USA.

Your situation would be one specifically addressed by the new criteria. Since you can't qualify as a 'pro', how is anyone in the general public to know if information, suggestions or otherwise in your posts has any credibility at all? There is no benchmark by which to judge your knowledge other than your postings. The sites exists so laymen can ask questions and get help from those who practice daily in the trade. We grant that there are varied opinions on many subjects, even among pros but that's to the definite advantage of the questioner. One view is not necessarily the only view. But a view from the pro box has more validity than the view from an educated amateur, if for no other reason than that the pro has been vetted as being the practice of the trade daily.

Professional membership is a very poor benchmark.

I've seen incorrect information posted by pros on this board (or worse, stupid questions); all you really need is 15 posts and some kind of industry association.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Thumbs up Equity of Standing Regarding Opportunity to Express Opinions...

I much prefer to see everyone on a level playing field & be judged solely by the value & quality of the content of their posts.

I am always for: Equity of Standing Regarding Opportunity to Express Opinions...

amd has a good point of view... - Treat everyone with equity of standing...I have witnessed excellent posts by Regular Guests with Experience!

I saw a Pro Member with an asterisk recommend pulling a wire off a start capacitor while in operation. As far as I'm concerned, there is more liability in giving people an asterisk, this gives the impression that HVAC-TALK endorses their advice. This is not the best system in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ResponsibleHeat View Post
    I saw a Pro Member with an asterisk recommend pulling a wire off a start capacitor while in operation. As far as I'm concerned, there is more liability in giving people an asterisk, this gives the impression that HVAC-TALK endorses their advice. This is not the best system in my opinion.
    If your pro application is pending approval, you won't much care what happens in the shallow end once you have your pro access. If you haven't applied yet, start.

Btw, you can flag an unsuitable post....YOU already know all about how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    If your pro application is pending approval, you won't much care what happens in the shallow end once you have your pro access. If you haven't applied yet, start.

Btw, you can flag an unsuitable post....YOU already know all about how that goes.
    I haven't applied and don't plan to. Too much information is required. I know what I know and more importantly, I know what I don't know. Instead of beating their chest about anything and everything, there are some pro's who need to take a serious inventory of their knowledge database and quit advertising the goods they don't have in stock.

With all these rules, I am sure these last two posts could be deleted. I have a lot to contribute, but I can just read, that's fine with me.

I haven't applied and don't plan to. Too much information is required.
    I didn't take you for a timid person until this statement.

There is less info required to get pro membership than there is to go buy a cell phone, car, and many other things. And its free.

But its up to you, if you want to shortchange yourself by not being able to see the wealth of info here. Your choice.

If you see such advice again just hit the report button.

H-talk will remove bad/unsafe advice when notified.

The knowledge database here is comparable but in no way does it exceed the knowledge database I have at my fingertips. I work for one of the largest equipment manufacturers in the world, my employer has over 50,000 pieces of equipment in its fleet and I've worked on every model, I have lunch with gentlemen who designed them and have beers with guys who built them. I have a lot to learn and I'm thankful I'm surrounded by the most innovative and experienced people in this field. I like to talk this stuff, but I'm not going to subject myself to an application form sent to "committee", whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    I much prefer to see everyone on a level playing field & be judged solely by the value & quality of the content of their posts.

I am always for: Equity of Standing Regarding Opportunity to Express Opinions...

amd has a good point of view... - Treat everyone with equity of standing...I have witnessed excellent posts by Regular Guests with Experience!

Udarrell, it cant be stated better than that. I have a 1/2 dozen EPA certs and maintain about 15 HP's, 4 with steam BU, about 12 AC unit's, a couple of PTAC'S and a dozen steam heaters. Mostly Trane, Carrier and York unit's. I work on the "AC" systems on 4 different classes of Submarines. Do I consider myself a pro? Heck no. Not compared to 99% of the people here. I'm always learning. But a kid in the first quarter of school can register as a pro after 15 post's and give AOP advice. I agree with your entire post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast