Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what is best way to perform leak check?

vacuum or pressurized the system?

Twilly says there are no best. There are many, the secret is to become a master at all of them.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Pressurizing the system may actually show the leak, air coming out of a hole will be noticeable. As with a vacuum it will only tell you there is a leak and you may have to wait a while to realize you're not pulling down far enough. I think it's 2000microns or something

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Pressurizing the system may actually show the leak, air coming out of a hole will be noticeable. As with a vacuum it will only tell you there is a leak and you may have to wait a while to realize you're not pulling down far enough. I think it's 2000microns or something
    Twilly likes 500 microns or lower and no rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly likes 500 microns or lower and no rise.
    I always pull down passed 500, I'm saying it wont even pull passed 2000 if there is a leak.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly says there are no best. There are many, the secret is to become a master at all of them.
    hey twilly can you expand on that answer. me personaly, i put in a dye, and use a kit i got from re michael, it's made by spectronics corp. out on long island , ny. anyone can put in "spectronics corp" and check out there web site. the dye is OEM approved, the kit i have i the omax3000. and if you work on a cond. out in the sun, i put a tarp over me and the unit, and use the UV light, while wearing the UV glasses, i love it!

leak checking

For me it depends on what kind of job I'm working.

1. Existing -gets sniffed
    2. New- gets nitro charged if I have all my tanks full,and I only have a few linesets to check.
    3. New- multi floor levels it gets a quick pump down, if it levels out at a certain mic level....usually around 500 if it is miniscule......1000+ if it is large, then I know what type of leak I have. If large and I am by myself I pump up to 300 and I start running the halls listening for the hiss. If it's miniscule it gets sniffed. Sniffing is the most dependable and quickest method to find miniscule leaks in my opinion.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Twilly says some people like dyes, some like leak detectors (sniffers) some like ultra sonic, some like plain old soap bubbles and there are a few other types. Twilly used to do the dye thing but thought it was too messy.

In most residential systems (notice most) the leak can realistically be in only a few places. I use a sniffer if it is small on the pressure test. The only bad ones are like the one I had once where someone drove a nail and it landed against a liquid line.

Fast forward several years later, unit is out of freon, won't hold pressure and no sign with sniffer, dye or soap bubbles of a leak.

Finally took condenser and evap out of line, checked them and line set separate. When found leak in line set, we stuck 400 pounds of nitrogen into it and then we found the leak. Nail had rubbed a tiny hole over the years.

Some dont even fix the leak on existing systems, just keep charging every year. I currently have dye in a system now, gonna check it next week.

Any advice on a good sniffer?

Damien should apply for pro status. Lots of help on that side and very technical too. As technical as you can stand as a matter of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Any advice on a good sniffer?
    Now that thread I really think belongs in the pro forum. Just because I'd hate to have the public see the wars over best sniffer.

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Damien should apply for pro status. Lots of help on that side and very technical too. As technical as you can stand as a matter of fact.
    I am currently awaiting approval.

I am brand new to the trade and welcome any knowledge I can get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast