UV Lights and Acoustic insulation

Greetings:

I posted a similar query over a year ago regarding UV Lights and Heresite coating on cooling coils ( the answer, by the way, was the UV light could break down the Heresite and degrade it ).

So another question - while you must use a baffle if the UV lamp is in line of sight with a ' non - UV rated ' air filter, can anyone answer whether or not you can use a UV lamp in a plenum lined with acoustic insulation. This particular insulation is the traditional one inch of yellow fibreglass insulation with the black ' tar ' like coating on the air side.

Please advise if you have any info - the installation instructions do not spell it out, and I don't have a return air plenum - there are grilles in the front of the A/C with filters directly behind the grilles.

Thanks;

Freonguy
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

With direct line of sight from the lamp with in 24 inches it will break the glue down that holds the glue together. You are probable looking at 5 plus years before you see any damage. I have had some lights shining on some duct board for about 3.5 years in our shop as an experiment. Currently there is just discolouration so far.

UV light response

Genesis:

Thanks for that - since I am an ' in house ' HVAC guy - ( pulp and paper mill ), I will do my own experiment for a year or so and see if there are any improvements in IAQ.

Thanks;

Freonguy
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !