+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: jci - Delta happening?

Post Likes

jci - Delta happening?

There's some rumbling that a deal may be in the works. Is anyone hearing the same or know factual details?

It doesn't sound good for the Delta people if it is true.

Post Likes
    I'd rather slit my own wrists than suffer Johnson.

Post Likes
    on the flip side Delta is top notch. The Delta partner conference was last week and I have not heard anything about that. I did hear the new touch screen is really nice with onboard I/O and web enabled.

Post Likes
    Oh hell yeah buy Delta I need controllers and Keys.
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    Time to make the numbers.

Post Likes
    Well with the crap Viconics is making they would be good to purchase a manufacturer that has a bacnet tstat.

The York COnxsys guys would already have a step ahead
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    Well with the crap Viconics is making they would be good to purchase a manufacturer that has a bacnet tstat.

Can you elaborate on the viconics stuff/issues please, there seems to be similar comments cropping out recently. But then some guys really like viconics too.

Has anyone tried these guys:
    http://www.exactlogic.com/
    http://www.nationalsystemsupply.com/...ures_list.html
    http://115.47.150.104/english/produc...on=s&small=233

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post
    I'd rather slit my own wrists than suffer Johnson.

And you would be fired for not wearing your personal protective gear.

Post Likes
    So is this all from one source? Or are people hearing this from multiple people?

Rumor mill, oh rumor mill, spill me your beans, rumor mill, oh rumor mill, spill me your beans!

Delta used to provide York with their controls before JCI acquired York. That arrangement ended soon after that, but York (hence JCI) had seen the capabilities of the Delta system and I'm sure would love to get there hands on it again.

Oh well, I guess I'll go get a beer, sit back and bask in the glory of the Australian Cricket team like I was part of the perfect summer.

Carry on.

kontrol out

For post 357 I bring thee: The Medusa!

kontrol out again
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

From the pacific coast, live in the mid-west now!
    Post Likes
    I've been hearing about this too....alot recently.

I remember reading a post a few weeks ago where someone claimed that the JCI and Distech relationship was falling to pieces. Is it possible that they're going out to buy a BACnet control line to compete with Distech?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridtheory View Post
    I've been hearing about this too....alot recently.

I remember reading a post a few weeks ago where someone claimed that the JCI and Distech relationship was falling to pieces. Is it possible that they're going out to buy a BACnet control line to compete with Distech?
    JCI already has their own BACnet controller line (FEC), which is supplemented by Viconics zone level controllers. Distech manufactures JCI's LON (LN) controller line. I'm not sure what the benefit of acquiring Delta would be to them, however I'm not familiar with Delta's entire product offering.

Post Likes
    To go beyond organic growth and satisfy book worms on Wall street.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverat View Post
    JCI already has their own BACnet controller line (FEC), which is supplemented by Viconics zone level controllers. Distech manufactures JCI's LON (LN) controller line. I'm not sure what the benefit of acquiring Delta would be to them, however I'm not familiar with Delta's entire product offering.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    Can you elaborate on the viconics stuff/issues please, there seems to be similar comments cropping out recently. But then some guys really like viconics too.
    The Viconics stat has a bit of an underpowered processor. They didn't have the overhead for a real-time operating system, so they use a single loop style of programming to lesson the burden on the processor.

In most applications it works just fine for what it's meant to do. (And I can assure you that they are not the only manufacturer who fight this limitation in their controllers).

However, there are some times when the Viconics stat can not handle the token fast enough and the network marks them offline and moves past them. The problem is that in some cases the Viconics stat doesn't realize that the network has moved on, so it sends its message late and without checking to see if anyone else is currently talking. The resulting collision or double token condition brings down the MS/TP network and really wreaks havoc in general.

The good news is that I have been assured by some of the nice folks at Viconics that this issue is one that they have been working very hard to fix (or alleviate I suppose). According to them, newer versions of their stats have been "fixed". I have not tested with any product of theirs manufactured in the past 6 months so I can't personally say how successful they have been.

Post Likes
    The Viconics' stat is an application specific controller. They are not programmable, but configurable. There are models for zoning, fan coils, roof tops and heat-pumps that can cover about 80% of those application types. They can be communicating via BACnet, Lon and Zigbee wireless and integrate with most BAS. They can be a very cost effective alternative to the controller/sensor combination if properly installed. If anyone has any issues/problem, they need to call Viconics' technical service to resolve. The techs will be glad to assist you. Visit the website for phone and contact information. My profile has my email address, which anyone may contact me for more information and potentially arrange for a sample.

Post Likes
    OK I should have been more specific in my statement about Viconincs. As for the applications them selves there is NO problems with them. My main issue is just as BacNet says Commuinications issues, and this is going on with Delta , JCI and Alerton supervised systems.
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    It's 3rd quarter in JCI's fiscal year starting tomorrow, the typical time they acquire "Sacrificial Lamb" to explain away their numbers come the end of 4th quarter.

Post Likes

The funny thig is we DID offer to help you out on more than one occasion....and you never got back to us........

We would have been MORE than happy to help you fix any issues on your job site(s). We do stand 100% behind our products. Ask anyone whom has used the product.

Yes as BACnet point out we are stretched with our current 8bit processor design.

And yes again we corrected a timer in our BACnet library in our latest release last year that corrected the odd token drop issue we had. Which is very rare & to which there are simple workarounds.

If you play well with the limitation of the product.......you can deliver a heck of a bang for the $. But yes. a 500$ big CPU device...it is not. Not was it ever it's mandate.

Again, if you would like a sample to re-test or need help on a job site do NOT hesitate to call us.....It will be our pleasure sir.

mlemieux AT viconics dot com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zinc22 View Post
    The funny thig is we DID offer to help you out on more than one occasion....and you never got back to us........

We would have been MORE than happy to help you fix any issues on your job site(s). We do stand 100% behind our products. Ask anyone whom has used the product.

Yes as BACnet point out we are stretched with our current 8bit processor design.

And yes again we corrected a timer in our BACnet library in our latest release last year that corrected the odd token drop issue we had. Which is very rare & to which there are simple workarounds.

If you play well with the limitation of the product.......you can deliver a heck of a bang for the $. But yes. a 500$ big CPU device...it is not. Not was it ever it's mandate.

Again, if you would like a sample to re-test or need help on a job site do NOT hesitate to call us.....It will be our pleasure sir.

mlemieux AT viconics dot com
    i really like the viconics stuff and i recomend it here all the time.

do i get a free shirt ?
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    No......sorry no shirt

But thank you very much for the vote of confidence.

But we do give out samples of our new stuff in the works and are looking for Beta testers....

You know how to reach us.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    i really like the viconics stuff and i recomend it here all the time.
    <Shrug> I have nothing bad to say about Viconics. I've only used their LON compatible stuff. But everything worked well, without troubles.

If one can get by with an ASC, and their inherent limitations, seems like a good and well working, reliable product.

Nope, not looking for a t-shirt. :-)

Granted, I've only used their stuff for pretty standard Heat Pump apps.
    A site where I stash some stuff that might be interesting to some folks.
    http://cid-0554c074ec47c396.office.l...e.aspx/.Public

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in