Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spike, have you considered teaching HVAC?

Norm

Confused

Spike,

I will trade you my BSME and MSES and PE license for your business. Engineers are a dime a dozen now adays. Stick with what you dod you are better off. I am currently a pump design engineer in the R&D dept. of a large corp. and get no respect. I was thinkin about getting the HVAC license so I canget out of this thankless job. Just some food for thought.

Stan

Oh yea, I'm 40 years old too. Must be that mid-life crisis thing.

Stan

Originally posted by NormChris
    Spike, have you considered teaching HVAC?

Norm
    Yes, actually I have. But, I'm not ready to teach at this point in my life, at least not full time in a CC classroom setting. I used to train my troops all the time on drill weekends in the Guard, and I just became an Reserve instructor at the USAF Basic HVAC/R technical school...

Thanks again for the replys. I've had a new idea...

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=52253

With your assiociate peices of paper, is there a degree in there someplace? You might be able to get college credit for some of that.

Your HVAC training is a good background for an engineering degree. Go for it while you are young. The hardest thing about college was having young kids. It would be much easier now with the kids almost grownup.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Yeah man, you are too late. I started at 38.

Pretty much the same reasons you are talking about. My health problems got worse and worse to the point I was almost useless. I worked two years full time while attending a local junior college, then took two years off while doing the "hard" part.

The advice you have received already is absolutely true; coming out the field and into engineering, they'll stand in line to talk to you. I received a call from a recruiter today offering me "up to" $15,000 more than I make now: bit I work for my dream company now, and in my dream location. I didn't even let him tell me what the job was.

When I got this dream job (about 6 months ago) I was being recruited by several companies, and turned down an offer from Science Diet to take a job for IAMs. It's not that I hate kibble that much, but my new boat needs a lot of room to turn and slow down. Up there where Science Diet wanted me to live, the largest body of water is 30 minutes away and not big enough to get my boat wound up.

My advice to you is: unless you are just stupid, GO FOR IT!

It will not be easy. But it WILL be worth it. My butt ain't near as big as it used to be, and not crawling around in attics and under houses has done wonders for my aches and pains. I work 10 hours a day because I want to, and I am home EVERY day before 5:00. No Saturdays, no holidays, and if I want to take an afternoon off to fish with my boys, no one cares.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Re: hey thanks for the replies

Originally posted by spike
    I get the impression he's still miffed at me from way back when I questioned "do heat pumps really save money"....
    I wasn't miffed. . . . . I just thought you were stupid!

Seriously though, I got burned out on the Internet, and on TV. Now days, I watch Star Gate and seldom even check my e-mail. The rest of the time, I am fishing or working in my yard and garden.

No anger with nobody.

Well, hardly no body. Some people just suck, you know?
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Re: Re: hey thanks for the replies

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BamaCracker

... unless you are just stupid....

... I just thought you were stupid!

Well, I see you at least passed Engineering Attitudes 101 ...

Jerk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12