Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: pay scale?

OT...........NO, getting paid 1, 2, 3, or more hours to do a 1 hour job YES, actually that happens all the time. Would you call that over time or 100, 150 or 200 per hour?

What the F??? are you talking about??

Originally posted by yvairguy
    I wont name companies but you probably see them everyday.

There are several companies in AZ and So. CA where you can make that wage also a few in UT that I know of so I would guess unless you live in the sticks you can find them everywhere. Typically you'll be looking for the companies that run the largest ads in the phone book, they will almost always be a FR company. Usually they will not be hiring because their guys tend to stay, if for no other reason, the pay.

Tell me a company more expensive than or that pays more than Trane Company. Trane tops out is around 28.00
    depending on the tech.........

And if you ask me Unions are the reason most of the products we buy go up in price and then imported from other countries so the products will be cheaper. Middle class Americans will not be anything over priced. But that is what happens when you have a guy standing there in charge of putting the screws in , and another in charge of picking up the screw if he drops it, and another guy in charge of buying more screws if he happens to lose that screw.
    And god forbid you ask one of them to do something that isnt in his job description. Anyway, you all know where I'm going with that , so I'll leave well enough alone.

And yes I have worked for unions (two different ones.), and it is about a joke and corrupt as hell.

Just a bunch of old farts to lazy to retire and work, so they push it all off on new guys or take advantage of the guys that like to work hard all day.

Just my opinion from the inside...now looking from the outside, and couldnt be more pleased with being out of those corrupt cliques.

Hmm

Trane pays a hell of alot more than $28hr. alot closer to $40hr. . Oh yeah I forgot their union too! Whooda thunkk it scabby?

brettln

Do not blame the cost of living on the union worker, last time I looked there were CEOs making 3-10 million base salery and then stock options.
    If you look in this post there are non-union workers that are charging 14 hrs for 8 hrs work. So tell me what is worse a man holding a screw waiting for a man to drive a screw and everybody knowing or a man charging for work that he has not done and lying about it. (theft)

I think you are grumpy at the unions because you just could not go with the flow.

I think you should remember that everything the workers have today union or non-union is because over the years there have men and women that unified and fought for benifits, wages, against child labour, working conditions and pensions that no ceo or manager would ever give to the workers otherwise.

Originally posted by yvairguy
    OT...........NO, getting paid 1, 2, 3, or more hours to do a 1 hour job YES, actually that happens all the time. Would you call that over time or 100, 150 or 200 per hour?

So who is brainwashed? A guy working 4 hours on a job that pays 6 or 8 hours but there is no OT, or the guy that works 8 hours getting paid at union scale that pulls OT when it is available? Remember your going to work more than one job today, it's not uncommon to bill out 10-12 hours in a 8 hour day. I've had 20+ hour days and actually only worked 8-10 most of those with a helper.

You are probably one of those people that when you hire someone to do work for you, you never loose sight of them so that you can make sure that they are not reeming you like you reem your customers.

My motto is put in a good days work and get paid an honest wage. It has worked for me for 27 years as a union member.

ON most days when I'm working like an animal if someone came up to me and said union people don't work hard I'd punch em in the nosex.
    is this really happening or not

hey double bubble

brettln is just one of those guys that thinks he is gods gift to HVAC.

doot dulit da doo SUPER BRITTLN

coolestacman
    If you look in this post there are non-union workers that are charging 14 hrs for 8 hrs work. So tell me what is worse a man holding a screw waiting for a man to drive a screw and everybody knowing or a man charging for work that he has not done and lying about it. (theft)

How do you come up with this stuff? you give a bid for the work, they accept the bid you do the work. If they don't, you don't work. If the shop pays you 14 hours for 8 hours work sounds good to me, sound like your jealous.

Exclamation

Oh yeah you can keep your 401k last time I checked those things were about worthless . I'll stick to my pension and inuity .
    is this really happening or not

Doesn't it depend on how good you are? Will a Union company keep a $40.00hr tech if he sucks? Is there oppurtunity for union guys to make above scale? Let's say a guy has been with the same company for 20 years and is the best tech in town will the company pay him above union scale to keep him around. Every situation is different. I am a non-union residential service tech in northern Indiana. I make $22.00 per hour, have a brand new take home truck, 2 weeks paid vacation, 6 paid personal/sick days per year. My employer pays the health insurance for me and my 5 dependants. (Granted it's not the hottest insurance in the world.) I also get a Christmas bonus each year that has ranged from $3500.00 to $9000.00 going up each year. I do have to buy all my own hand tools but employer provides guages, pump, meters etc... I have been trying for years to get in with a union company for pension and insurance reasons but for some reason they don't hire "rats". How can I not be a "rat" if they won't even give me a chance? As for skill. Please don't kid yourself. I have fixed union techs mistakes in the past.

How do you come up with this stuff? you give a bid for the work, they accept the bid you do the work. If they don't, you don't work. If the shop pays you 14 hours for 8 hours work sounds good to me, sound like your jealous.

No I am not jealous, I work 8 I get paid 8 with union rate.
    I make $100,000.00 plus every year. The company I work for encourages the mech. to complete jobs on time by paying extra hourly and by the job, we also get commision on recomendations that we make. As for trucks we get new trucks every two years and drive them home. All tools are bought by the company.

No I am not jealous, I work 8 I get paid 8 with union rate.
    I make $100,000.00 plus every year. The company I work for encourages the mech. to complete jobs on time by paying extra hourly and by the job, we also get commision on recomendations that we make. As for trucks we get new trucks every two years and drive them home. All tools are bought by the company

Can you please tell me how you make 100 grand plus per year. I am also union with foremans rate at 38 plus per hour an make nowhere near 100 grand.

Two that come to mind are george brazil and mike diamond. Some in these shops will actually make over 100k per year. So now you have names, am I still a liar in your eyes?

Wake up and smell the coffee folks if your only going to believe what the union is telling you and want to call us that know better liars then so be it, live in the dark. Problem is most people spend more time shopping for a new car than they will shopping for a job. Once most people get settled into the union life, or what they think is a good job, they think they are at the top of the food chain and they quit looking.

i did wake up to the fresh roasted corffee, i joined the union, and left behind all the non-union b.s., there is crap to be had from both sides acknowledge it and move on.

Mike diamond? you have got to be kidding me.. you would have to pay me $50 bucks in one of those trucks, i could'nt suffer the loss of pride, yes i have seen them, not too often though business must be slow, they usually don't show there trucks until summer time, seasonal work anyone? and lets be honest, mike diamond dos'nt run commercial hvac in califonia, i have rarely ever seen them on cmmercial properties unless they are out trying to snake business, so your point belongs over in the residential forum, not in commercial threads. their favorite sales point is that they can fix anyhting in one stop, because they drive furniture moving trucks with one of everything, this also leads to hackish work. and can you believe those truck charges on the invoices. mike diamond, george brazil. you are talking about a totally different game, much less have the right league.

[Edited by hvac3901 on 06-13-2004 at 05:37 PM]

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast