Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: pay scale?

I'm non union, and I know that I would make atleast 5 bucks an hour less if it weren't for the unions.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Wink

You would make to 10 to 15 more if you were union. Think of the benifits and oh the pension.

Oh once again the ugly subject of union vs nonunion scales raises it's head. Deal with it, not everybody wants to work union, this is America we're allowed to make our own choices. Denver scales vary even between unions. A good journeyman can make anywhere from $20 to $30/hr on thier paycheck depending on the size of the shop and if it's union or not. Our union journeymen get approx $27/hr on thier check after all the deductions, of course they haven't seen a pay raise in years as every year when they supposedly get a $1.70/hr raise the union takes it.

yea, I guess this is a political subject

BUT... EVERYBODY makes more BECAUSE OF the strong unions of before!
    They are the ones that brought up the wage for the ENTIRE COUNTRY of working class!
    myself, I have gotten decent raises the last 7 years or so... Now it is 26.29 on the check, 5.25 an hour contributed to my pension by my employer funds..and more. and I am told we are the lowest scale in the state.

Unions TRULY helped and help us all get CLOSE to what we DESERVE!!!

I kinda wonder although if the servce techs should all just get together and do their OWN thing since we are the stepchild of the UA????????

Wink

You are right not everybody wants to work union.
    Look at what the unions are getting in our industry representing only about 30% of the Techs. (this is in Ontario $35.47 plus benifits and pension.)
    If the Unions represented more techs we would easily get 40-45 plus benifits and pension.

If your good you can make 50 bucks per hour, or more, as a service tech, working for a NON UNION company that provides insurance, vacation, truck and a 401K. Most of the union guys I know are too lazy to work in a shop that does pay 50 bucks per hour and most wouldn't last but a few weeks because you have to WORK.

Once upon a time some of the most knowledgeable and best workers in the trades could be found in union shops, but these days most of the best and brightest know that there is a bigger paycheck outside of the unions. All too often these days you seem to have people that are lazy don't want to work, or have a history and are hiding within the unions, not that there are not good people to be had but you have to weed through a bunch to find the good ones.

All good points! Personally I've never worked union and never will. I've always been paid above union scale with equal or better benefit package. As my late grandfather who worked in the union auto shops of Michigan taught me, a knowledgable hard worker doesn't need the unions. I've met some great union techs and some slackers that hid behind the union. To each his own. Take pride in what you do and try to always do your best, you will be paid what you're worth.

resume

50 + an hour?

I can be Bought! I can run with the best of 'em..

where do I send a resume?

I wont name companies but you probably see them everyday.

There are several companies in AZ and So. CA where you can make that wage also a few in UT that I know of so I would guess unless you live in the sticks you can find them everywhere. Typically you'll be looking for the companies that run the largest ads in the phone book, they will almost always be a FR company. Usually they will not be hiring because their guys tend to stay, if for no other reason, the pay.

C'MON........$50/hr.....non-union...$100,000 a year...without overtime....non-union.....hmmmmmmm,i'd have to see a paystub....................
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I have found that if someone won't give names it probably is not true.
    I keep track of the differance between union and non-union rates todate most that claim they make union rate will not show pay stubs, and with further research I have found most are blowing wind.

I have also found that in good time no one wants a union, but when times get bad they want in.

When you get old and can't perform like the young guys you will find out how good your boss is.

chomper

right on chomper. Incontrol is a lakey chump operative for the MAN. And I'm a signatory owner SMW LOCAL 49 and if a worker dosen't cut the best deal for his/her labor they are a chump and I'll bet he got that speel from his employer. Being an employer I can tell you the best you can do for yourself is take the best offer you can find and it's going to be UNION.
    Tracers work both ways.

ali10

Hey ali10 I got an idea. Rather than let all these business owners and there lakeys influence you why not ask your husband to contact eather the Sheet Metal Local or the Pipe Fitters Local and then decide.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast