Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "GOODnTIGHT!"

Unhappy

This is what i had to deal with today. (the wall with the switch and the tank have about 14" in between)
    They decided to make a finished basement apartment about 5 years ago soooo... I had to drain 15yr old 75 gal hot water heater that was so filled up with sediment that it would'nt drain, had to keep stikin a piece of wire in the tank to get the flow goin, and move it so i could remove the old (oversized) furnace. Install new furnace & complete new A/C unit, & re-install that shi!#y tank. Talk about a long day!!! On top of that there was only 2 wire going to the furnace from T-stat on second floor...had to pull 4 wire...and of course the 2 wire was jammed in the wall or snagged on something, took about an hour to figure out a new route.( Did'nt take any after pics because i thought......WHY?) Overall the job came out great

This is how they used to do the gas back in the day...i guess.
    Anyone notice what's wrong with this picture?

Great location for the union in the gas line, before the gas cock.

When I have a water heater that wont drain I remove the T&P relief valve and connect an air line from a compressor to the opening to get the flow going. After trying the homes own water pressure of course.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

SHould of posted the "after" pix! :-(

As for the gas, i'd say the shut off valve is after the union... not before.

Too easy!

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Don't know about a 75, but a shop vac will empty a 40 from the cold inlet fitting.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Originally posted by rich pickering
    Don't know about a 75, but a shop vac will empty a 40 from the cold inlet fitting.
    How big of a shop vac?

Originally posted by a\c don
    Great location for the union in the gas line, before the gas cock.

When I have a water heater that wont drain I remove the T&P relief valve and connect an air line from a compressor to the opening to get the flow going. After trying the homes own water pressure of course.
    Sounds like a great idea, i come across a lot of tank replacements, but don't really have the room for my compressor.

its not the size, its how many trips to the drain are there! rig up a pump in the bottom of a 5 gallon and there you go!!!

Draining Water Heaters

On electrics you can remove the bottom element-QUICKLY thread in a 1 1/2" female with ball valve attached that attaches to LARGE drain pipe. Cut on ball valve and it will drain in a flash.Especially after you remove the TandP and inlet and outlet lines. Much better than draining out of the garden hose drain.

I just rock it to the side and let it drain while I work, then chunk it out the door
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Did a HWT change out in a basement crawl space. There were six other HWTanks down there. The hole in which to get it down there, was inches big enough for us to rope the new one down. There was so much ****e in the tanks, that it was virtually impossible to drain them, so we did what other's did... cut it out and man-handled it over in beside the others. It was a dank, festering, muddy, crappy, poopy, nasty, filth-mongering.......... (oh.... sorry, obvious issues. ) Place to work! Got it done in six hours. And the shop had to pay for new coveralls.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

I use a pony pump fron proven pumps (Johnstone) hook up to the hose bib and it sucks the water out in no time at all, even through hard calcium build up.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Little Giant makes a great pump for the job too. About $75

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast