Thread: R-507 high temp

R-507 high temp

I have a 30ton chiller used to cool welders they have an R-22 System now and want to go to R-507. Im not sure why yet but one of the Engineers read about doing this overseas. And my question is my suction temp is usually around 65 and I use R-507 in low and med temp applications but has anyone tried it as a high temp refrigerant.

I have never heard of 507 being used as a high temp refrigerant. Maybe he meant 407, which is commonly used as an r22 alternative. 507 running a 40 degree suction temp would be 90 psi. I couldn't imagine the compressor liking that too much.

I sure you already did this but did u use aPT chart

I talked to them about 407C as an alternative but they are stuck on 507. I have heard of velocity issues at that high of suction pressure and temp. I am not afraid to try to use this but want all info i can get ahead of time. And i am aware that the oil and txv's must be changed the compressor is rated for both 22 and 404 so no problems there. The comp originally had POE but someone has a sticker labeling it with a AB MO blend in the system.

there may also be electrical changes (wire sizing, breakers, fuses, etc)...as well as pressure reliefs, perhaps some tubing size changes (that depends on a lot of factors)

is the barrel rated for the higher pressure? some are not.

why change away from 22?
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best