Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by m&s hvac
    Sounds like you have found a good job that is challenging. PTL.
    Challenging.... yep!

I went back this morning to do this. On the way there I had to get parts for that. Then once I arrived at the store, I was told to get ready for another call that just came in.
    As I'm working I get another call saying I should forget EVERYTHING and go run this call for an ice cream line up which is totally down!!!

So I drop everything and run off and find a whole rack is down. The 480 breaker to the rack had tripped!

I get it back online safely and learned a valuable lesson. I didnt have to front seat the suction service valves on each of the four units! I could have simply closed all the ball valves on the suction header and then opened them one at a time once I restarted the units.

That would have been easier.

Found a really bad contact on unit four.

Why would someone put a 90 AMP contactor on a unit drawing 18 amps??????????

Your really grooving on this aren't you? Hey, you made it to the big leagues, and I am one that is hat's off to you and, I think many of us can appreciate that enthusiasm you display in your posts as of late.

But I also recall you have asked for tips. I have one for you. And it is not meant to insinuetue anything from what you have said about your new job. I am saying this cause I remember being right where your at. I am sure a few guys in here can tottally understand.

You made it to the show, make sure you find time to also enjoy that feeling and track your building of confidence. Take a sit back and relax as well as drive this train forward.

Find a comfortable stride. You will be a better mechanic for it.

I usally just turn on one pump at a time and it works fine unless it was off for like 24 hours or something. Most likely the back pressure will dropp quickly. You can also just use toggle switches for solonoid valves mounted on the rack or turn off the solonoid controll breaker. I can remember having to ever close off ball valves to re-start a rack that had been down.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    Your really grooving on this aren't you? Hey, you made it to the big leagues, and I am one that is hat's off to you and, I think many of us can appreciate that enthusiasm you display in your posts as of late.

Find a comfortable stride. You will be a better mechanic for it.
    Thanks .... I find myself striving at times to keep up with what is going on.
    I see this rack over here needs this ...so I wanna find the time .. or make the time to get in there and do what it needs.
    Then there's that rack over there, they gotta leak and two systems low on gas..... then there's the line up with some tx valves that needs some adjustment .... and on and on.

But I cannot be everywhere at once!

By nature, I try to work to PREVENT breakdowns. But nobody else seems to care! They just want you to be there when it does crash and burn, which it certainly will!

And then these market directors, managers ... they never ever take a cases temperature!
    Either a customer or a vendor is the one who informs management of their problem areas!
    But by that time, they got milkshakes and warm seafood!

I find the politics and mentality of corperate supermarkets to be less than brilliant, to be sure.
    They are their own worst enemy.

I will try to pace myself though.
    Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    I usally just turn on one pump at a time and it works fine unless it was off for like 24 hours or something. Most likely the back pressure will dropp quickly. You can also just use toggle switches for solonoid valves mounted on the rack or turn off the solonoid controll breaker. I can remember having to ever close off ball valves to re-start a rack that had been down.

hmmm... didnt know this. I'll try it next time.

I am positive there WILL be a next time ....

Originally posted by m&s hvac
    Sounds like you have found a good job that is challenging. PTL.
    Hello Mike & Karen,

yes ... it is challenging. It may not be ont he coast ... but it is where I am for the time being.

Susan keeps reminding me of where my focus should be.
    You know what I mean.

I imagine your really hopping right about now.

I look at that photo every single day. Thanks again. We'll never forget that trip.

Lightbulb

I agree with freezking about the oil change. I dont think I have ever changed all of the oil in a rack system. You are better served by changing all of the filter driers, suction filter cores, and oil line filters and following up with repeat filter changes untill the oil is clean and test ok for acid. Make sure you keep the oil seperator working properly, especially in the case like yours where the copmpressor failed mechanically. Another tip is to ALWAYS open up the dead compressor. It will share with you a world of information as to why it failed. A minimum is to remove the valve plates. If you have time pop off the front bearing head and peek in at the lower end. Almost all lower end failures are the result of oiling problems. most top end failures are the result of excessive refrigerant issues. Keep up the high enthusiasm you are doing good, but do not burn out. You can not save the world, only the call you are on.

As i got into the business i shared you same level of wanting to do the right thing, but you will find what you think is going to CRASH AND BURN most oftem never does.

ONLY YOU WILL CRASH AND BURN if you care too much. Just float in do the call and float out or you will work yourself into a big burn out too fast. You have to pace youtself for a 10 year burn out I only lasted 8, but i was 36 before i saw my first rack!

Towards the end of 8 years in markets i would walf by the rapping compressor or small oil leak and go ohhh well!

Ya big girl.

Talking

I had 24 years in before I burned out. And it wasn't me mind cap'n but me body. Back operation in 1991. that went fine doc said don't lift anything heavier than 15 pounds. yeh right!!!! Then the knees started going. Now I am in process HVAC and hating it (for the last 3+ years). The work is physically easier, but there is no challenge. Miss the good old daze

Well refer dude you will always be a refer man at heart. I went to doing smaller refrigeration, but still 90% commercial refrigeration but no racks or supermarket calls at 2:00 am...................much better

Wink

yep that is the real blessing in the hvac side. for the most part if it ain't fixed by 3:30 then it will wait til tomorrow. the only after hours calls we really get are from the Safeway stores where we do the a/c work. most of the big process a/c accounts have facility guys that get the after hours calls. we just get the repairs that they can't do, or the ones that they thought they could do and butchered up.

I have been fortunate to have been kneee deep as a tech in commercial reefer, from small stuff to the very current screw racks. and flipside of that, I got into the larger RTU hvac side. I love both a lot. But there is one thing that stands out which I see being my favorite over the long haul. HVAC. Commercially. It's a much more even pace. It has as many things right with it as wrong with it, just like the grocery stores, but, you can make a good living, raise a family, join a bowling league, shoot darts, play pool, children sports, children everything. You can do all that alot easier in HVAC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast