Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Balanced Port TEV

I dont have alot of experience with these valves. When is it better to use a balanced port over the standard valve.

On condensing units that have fan cycling controls, or areas that have large temperature swings, like a roof top unit. The valve is designed for use where the head pressure has large swings. I put them on everything. It only makes sense....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    On condensing units that have fan cycling controls, or areas that have large temperature swings, like a roof top unit. The valve is designed for use where the head pressure has large swings. I put them on everything. It only makes sense....
    Agreed. I do too. Just about everything I work on has floating head. Like you said, it only makes sense.
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better"

Well, it looks like I need to start using them then. Like you both have siad, almost everything I work on has some type of head pressure control too. I will try them on a WI cooler install comming up.

Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    Well, it looks like I need to start using them then. Like you both have siad, almost everything I work on has some type of head pressure control too. I will try them on a WI cooler install comming up.
    Ask your local wholesaler for Sporlan TEV literature for standard and balanced port valves. Then look at how the pressure differences across a standard valve affects its capacity. It will then make sense to you why to use a balanced port valve when the head pressure fluctuates.

Quote Originally Posted by thefreezerguy View Post
    Ask your local wholesaler for Sporlan TEV literature for standard and balanced port valves. Then look at how the pressure differences across a standard valve affects its capacity. It will then make sense to you why to use a balanced port valve when the head pressure fluctuates.
    If you keep using facts, and logic you are going to start a flame war around here..better watch it....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    If you keep using facts, and logic you are going to start a flame war around here..better watch it....
    Got it!

Something to be cautious about with TEV versus cap tube, orifice or some other fixed restriction metering. If you install a TEV from the other pressure drop device you will need to add hard start if your compressor is piston and valve.(with single phase power) The expansion valve will close once the compressor stops and the compressor won't want to start again without a start relay and capacitor. Three phase compressors and scrolls will start fine.

Really the only time to use an internally equalized valve would be when there is very little pressure differential across your evaporator. Otherwise externally will almost always be the valve of choice...

A perfect example of a low diff. coil would be a tube type heat exchanger in a process chiller with no distributor, or a tempering coil in an AC unit...

Another thought about the retrofit from cap to Valve, the charging method will be completely different, cap=superheat/OSA and valve=subcooling...it will normally take a tad more gas to get a valve to work where a cap tube once was...

GT

Sometimes a balanced port valve can be a little to responsive, if it hunts, add a layer of electrical tape between the bulb and the suction line. After you rule the normal causes out.

If it hunts, you need to finish adjusting it...not hack it...

Quote Originally Posted by Boise500 View Post
    Sometimes a balanced port valve can be a little to responsive, if it hunts, add a layer of electrical tape between the bulb and the suction line. After you rule the normal causes out.
    I don't think so.........

Hehe...run cap bandit moves on to txv's.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast