+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NATE Certification As A Hiring Tool?

Post Likes
    Heres what I would do...

Make yourself a test from the KATE (Knowlege areas) found in the industry. Have applicants pass it if they are not NATE certified and if they pass (and of course have some character) hire them on probation for 90 days in which they will have the opportunity to take the NATE exam and depending on their score and performance so far their pay will be adjusted accordingly.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Heres what I would do...

Make yourself a test from the KATE (Knowlege areas) found in the industry. Have applicants pass it if they are not NATE certified and if they pass (and of course have some character) hire them on probation for 90 days in which they will have the opportunity to take the NATE exam and depending on their score and performance so far their pay will be adjusted accordingly.

That is precisely what I have been doing! I patterned the exam after the sample NATE exam I wrote and put in the "For Your Interest" area on this site.

Norm

Post Likes

Re: Norm.....your new job........

Originally posted by Diceman
    I hope you got a piece of that action.
    You deserve it.
    Dice, are you working on another article for the "For Your Interest" area? Keep em coming!

Norm

Post Likes
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    Trust me, this is nothing new at all. The fact is that any qualified tech is already working somewhere. We have had some real duesies apply and it is amazing the BS they'll feed you trying to get a job.

We don't require experience. That is one thing that has help a BUNCH! We look at the person and what they DO know and make a decision based on that. The last guy we hired for example had some experience with electronics including working for a company as a powered wheel chair service manager, and he has extensive automotive knowledge. This tells us that heknows basic wiring and has mechanical understanding. Additionally he has a clean driving record. But MOST important is he has the will to succeed. I can read people and he just seemed right. We hired him and he has been one of the best techs we have hired in a LONG time. It goes the other way to. Sometimes you hire someone that just doesn't work out and you know if it is going to work within a VERY short time.

The days of hiring experienced techs is officially over unless you are lucky. All but 2 techs in my area are over 40, 3/4ths of them are over 50. SO.....that shows that in 10, 15, 20 years the shortage is only going to get MUCH worse. Our lead installer as well as myself are 25 and well, in no time we'll be the old timers around here.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds. As for now I have no problem training a person I feel has the desire to learn the trade. Only time will tell.
    yes there are experanced techs and every one wants them till the meet them and see thay are over 50. I know that because I'm there and unemployed in Minnesota.

Post Likes

Re: Re: Norm.....your new job........

Originally posted by NormChris
    Originally posted by Diceman
    I hope you got a piece of that action.
    You deserve it.
    Dice, are you working on another article for the "For Your Interest" area? Keep em coming!

Norm
    OK, let me think about it, time for something light and fluffy in there, maybe a feel good story.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Who is this Nate of which you speak?

Post Likes

Exclamation Now that I have gotten the levity over with, it's time to get down to bidness!

Gonna get allllllll keyboard busy on this question.

Sure, it's a semi decent guide by which to judge whether or not the applicant is a slack-jawed, knuckle dragging filter changer, or someone with ability to learn.

Personally (and, of course, professionally,) I would prefer that they be on a "more than passing" comfort level, preferably in the realm of passing a CM, but sure, you could say NATE was a bare bones, bottom line guide for a potential employee. (Like an office worker, or a fleet truck mechanic... )

Post Likes
    And you all thought I was gonna snap.

Post Likes
    Personally I don't feel as though passing a test does more than prove that you can pass a test. Some people test well, others like me , can just pass, but not with high scores and others don't test good at all.

Post Likes

There are several NATE certified technicians as well as a CM working for some other companies near me. None of which I am willing to hire as technicians even though I need technicians. No, certification is not the sole criteria upon which I determine who I will hire for the contractor who has given me the assignment of finding and hiring technicians for him.

However, I do see NATE certification as one of several things to consider when hiring technicians. At least a NATE certified technician knows enough to pass the exam. That says something right? That has to carry some weight especially when I keep getting applicants who know little to nothing about HVAC and want me to hire them.

Norm

Post Likes
    Well said, but taken one step further, is the contractor able to pass the exam, If not, then, a conflict will arise if the employee is smarter then the employer. Contractors prefer equipment slamed in started and on to the next job as fast as possible, if short cuts help the bottom line, sloppy work will take precedence.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in