Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Exclamation Now that I have gotten the levity over with, it's time to get down to bidness!

Gonna get allllllll keyboard busy on this question.

Sure, it's a semi decent guide by which to judge whether or not the applicant is a slack-jawed, knuckle dragging filter changer, or someone with ability to learn.

Personally (and, of course, professionally,) I would prefer that they be on a "more than passing" comfort level, preferably in the realm of passing a CM, but sure, you could say NATE was a bare bones, bottom line guide for a potential employee. (Like an office worker, or a fleet truck mechanic... )

And you all thought I was gonna snap.

Personally I don't feel as though passing a test does more than prove that you can pass a test. Some people test well, others like me , can just pass, but not with high scores and others don't test good at all.

There are several NATE certified technicians as well as a CM working for some other companies near me. None of which I am willing to hire as technicians even though I need technicians. No, certification is not the sole criteria upon which I determine who I will hire for the contractor who has given me the assignment of finding and hiring technicians for him.

However, I do see NATE certification as one of several things to consider when hiring technicians. At least a NATE certified technician knows enough to pass the exam. That says something right? That has to carry some weight especially when I keep getting applicants who know little to nothing about HVAC and want me to hire them.

Norm

Well said, but taken one step further, is the contractor able to pass the exam, If not, then, a conflict will arise if the employee is smarter then the employer. Contractors prefer equipment slamed in started and on to the next job as fast as possible, if short cuts help the bottom line, sloppy work will take precedence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123