Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many tons for a 1500 sq ft home

I have been getting bids for an ac unit in my home and I have been getting a range of 3 tons to 3.5 tons. I live in Dallas Texas and my home is pretty well shaded during the days and the majority of my windows face north or south. Thanks for any help. The ones that want to sell me the 3.5 tons say they want to oversize a bit so it will cool better when temp reaches 95+. Also it is a heat pump being installed. My home has 1450 square ft of cooling space, energy efficient window and plenty of attic installation.

If they do not perform a manual J calculation send em packin (make em show it to you). The duct work is a big part of the whole process as well.

Ditto on the manual J calcs. The contractor may not let you "keep" them until you sign the contract (keeps you from getting a lower bid from someone else not doing the required work) unless you pay them for their time and energy. To properly perform the needed calculations takes training ($$$) time ($$$) energy ($$$) - you get the idea. But anyone not doing a man J, just tell them thank you and move on.
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber2008 View Post
    I have been getting bids for an ac unit in my home and I have been getting a range of 3 tons to 3.5 tons. I live in Dallas Texas and my home is pretty well shaded during the days and the majority of my windows face north or south. Thanks for any help. The ones that want to sell me the 3.5 tons say they want to oversize a bit so it will cool better when temp reaches 95+. Also it is a heat pump being installed. My home has 1450 square ft of cooling space, energy efficient window and plenty of attic installation.
    Just to give you some perspective, my home is 2650 sq ft and my house was determined to need a 3 1/2 ton heat pump.

As the pros have said Manual J is what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber2008 View Post
    You may want to check into having an energy audit performed by a professional. Plenty of insulation doesn't mean you don't have HUGE air leakage. The new proposed Home Star bill is likely to be passed soon & offers rebates for improving the energy efficiency of your entire home. This audit does not just look at your heat & cooling system, but rather at the whole house. You have to consider not only the comfort level, but health & energy efficiency issues as well.
    It's estimated (by some) that over 50% of central cooling systems in homes are oversized by as much as 1 to 2 tons. Couple that with many existing homes being energy inefficient by poor building shells & thermal envelopes & you can see why you can't really consider what size system you need untill you have your home evaluated by a professional.
    EXAMPLE: I live in an apartment with units above, below, behind, to the left & right of mine. I did not turn my heat on once this whole past winter & often had to leave a window open. I have electric heat. My Elect bill the entire year doesn't go above 50 bucks- & that's with a dishwasher, washer & dryer.
    LESSON: A great thermal envelope can result in a much smaller heat & cool system along with less cost to run it.

Unless you live in a glass house, 3.5 is going to be too big. 3 tons is probably too big as well unless you have no insulation, leaky and lots of windows. You'll probably find you'll end up with a 2.5 ton when it's all said and done. Maybe a 2 ton if your house is fairly new or recently remodeled with lots of energy upgrades. It's really hard to tell from here.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

SECO and ONCOR are offering rebates now for a new A/C system but will need to be at least 16 SEER

I've attached my standard reading material on how to select an HVAC contractor. It takes a lot of the pain out of the decision making process. Having said that, there's a lot more to it than just the size of the equipment. The size of the ducts, the amount of air that will enter each room, if you're truly north south then the balance (even temps in all rooms) is relatively easy to establish. But if you're big windows are oriented east, west and south then some sort of zoning may be appropriate so that the east and southeast get more air in the morning and the west and southwest get more in the afternoon. In addition, many of the old, original systems had no science behind the installation at all. A thorough analysis will reveal that as well. And finally, after the system is installed, many contractors don't even know how to properly charge the system. But you can bet your booties, that if they took the time to do a thorough load analysis without you having to ask for it, then they're a quality company good enough to deliver a truly comfortable system without ever sticking a wet finger in the air to guess which way the wind is blowing today.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Skip

You beat me to it.

i dont think he like your answers...i think he left.

The Question Was... "How Many Tons For A 1500 SF Home"?

I'd guess it would weigh in 'bout 15 Tons, if it's a Slab add another 5 tons for concrete.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Or maybe he read the attachment, printed it out and is going through the YPs asking the question!!!
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

it is still one finger per ton right?
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast