Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

geotherm brands?

Looking into a geothermal system for my house. I would like to get some suggestions of good geotherm heat pumps. Is tetco by edwards engineering any good? Ever heard of the terralink kit made by ART inc? It includes pre-filled 3/4 piping with no welds.

Thanks in advance.

Philip

Neither are well known. Biggest in the residential are ClimateMaster and Water Furnace. FHP is also well known.

I have been installing and recommend ClimateMaster. One of the oldest in the field, good quality, reliable and reasonably priced.

paul

Could you recommend a dealer I could purchase a climate master through?

Originally posted by pooka16
    Could you recommend a dealer I could purchase a climate master through?
    So you want to install a Geo Therm DIY???

Good luck!

I am planing to buy the terralink kit through xxxxxxxxxxxxx for the prefilled sealed piping and manifold. Going to hire a local hvac to hookup the pump.
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 05-11-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: removed diy link

You may first want to make sure you can find a local contractor willing to 'hook up the pump'. THEN look for the equipment once a willing contractor is located. Don't be stuck with something that no one will touch.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Thumbs down Geo Thermal-Earth Wise

Setting up , drilling and piping a Geo-Thermal Ground source heat pump is not for DIY's.

I would never even give information to someone about it.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Interesting site, but.......

What you are getting is a geo circ panel and prefilled tubing. I thing it is geo grade polyethelene, but can't tell for sure. Not using fusion joints is not a good idea, since all mfg's and specs only allow thermal fusion joints (they like to point out the negatives of the fused joint, but boast about it being used in their factory made connections). Perhaps they supply only single piece lines so that there are none of their "quick coupling" joints in the ground. Last thing you need is a bad joint somewhere in a 6' deep trench. Finding it is the first major issue. The other thing I found a bit comical is the statement in the web site about not having to handle heavy, stiff tubing. They have some sort of magical flexible tubing. I will agree that it is a bear to handle the geo pipe at times, but what the heck do they think that filled tubing will weigh ? Being prefilled, the weight alone makes it much more difficult to move around.

As for a DIY job, consider the following: you will need to have major trenching done, typical is 500' of pipe per ton. Trench spacing, soil performance, depth recommendations, etc all need to be evaluated to determine the required system design. Then thermal coupling material for the pipe, antifreeze level, flow rate for the heat pump, etc. A lot goes into a geo design to be sure it will work correctly. If you have a problem, the equipment manufacturers will not bail you out for a loop problem. Lastly you will most likely have trouble trying to buy a known brand geo heat pump. They are available to dealer/installers only and none of them will risk the reputation and liability of selling to a DIY'er. When it doesn't work, they do not want their name connected with it.

paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    So you want to install a Geo Therm DIY???

Good luck!
    Interesting comment...I know 3 people that have installed Geo systems themselves and all 3 have had great luck with it.

I plan on doing it myself also. Why spend up to $ when you can do it for around $?
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-10-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Price reference

Gee, I can't think of a single reason to hire a pro. In fact, I just found a website where I can purchase a scalpal for $12. I guess I can do brain surgery now, eh?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Gee, I can't think of a single reason to hire a pro. In fact, I just found a website where I can purchase a scalpal for $12. I guess I can do brain surgery now, eh?
    Your sarcastic response was completely uncalled for. I made a real life comment and, because you didn't like it, you come back with that totally unprofessional response?

Here's another fact, I have had 3 "professionals" come out to my house and everyone one of them told me I needed a completely different system size; every one. And each one admitted they were going back to their shop and input the data into their "program". Guess what, I can buy that program myself and input the same data.

I am a computer scientist and math major with a background (in my teenage years) in construction. I am able to learn as much as anyone else. Geothermal installation is not rocket science. As with any profession, it can be learned just like you could learn my profession if you took the time...no difference.

I was quoted a price of $ for a 4 ton system...are you kidding? I can do everything myself for $ plus, from everything I've read and from the data analysis software I ran, I should be able to heat my 2000 sq foot home with a 3 ton system.

Your response almost sounded like you took offense to the fact that others, like myself, might DIY and you will lose work. I apologize if I appear to be a threat to you.

Thanks for adding nothing to this thread and if anyone was smart, they certainly would not hire you to do a job with that condescending demeanor.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-11-2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Prices

"Your response almost sounded like you took offense to the fact that others, like myself, might DIY and you will lose work. I apologize if I appear to be a threat to you."

I do take offense when you come to a site of professionals who make their living in this field and ask them to take food out of they're families mouth.

Here's a deal for you, leave the hvac to us and we won't dwell in computer science.

If you are so highly educated then you should be able to read our site rules.
    Yes, we are highly protective of our trade and our business(es). But if you read our site rules you'd see we make no bones about it.
    Save your lectures for your classroom.
    You and your friends may find out in the long run what your DIY projects really cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast