+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Competition BBQ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Sausage gravy on biscuits of course started down South. But now I got the hang of making it when ever I go up to my camp. The boys are licking the bottom of the pot after breakfast.

My secret is one lbs. of the cheap greasy sauage meat and a 2 lb. bag of McKensie's Vermont Sauage.
    Benncool I have seen gravy and biscuits on a TV show and they are really popular in some places. Could you post your recipe so I could try this at home? Also, grits are popular in some places but I have never had grits.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
    Benncool I have seen gravy and biscuits on a TV show and they are really popular in some places. Could you post your recipe so I could try this at home? Also, grits are popular in some places but I have never had grits.
    This is a recipe that you do not want to cook in cast iron. Cast Iron will turn your gravy gray and we want it to come out white.

You'll need:
    1 lb. of sauage meat. The better quality the better.
    1 tbl. cooking oil
    1 med onion chopped fine
    1 level teaspoon K-Paul Meat Magic
    Milk.
    Wondra.

In a non cast iron fry pan sautee onions. Slowly crumble in the sauage meat into the cooking onions. Keep stiring it occasionally to keep the sausage meat broken up. Add Meat Magic and continue to cook until sausage is brown.

When cooked, remove from heat and place mixture in a colander and drain away the grease.

Put drained mixture into a non cast iron pot. Cover the mixture with room temperature milk until it is approx. 1/4" above the sausage mixture. Heat the whole mixture up to simmer and thicken it with Wondra.

( The milk part is by eye. The better sausage will not have as much grease in it so you would use less milk. If you want to streech it out you add more milk. But start with the 1/4" above the mixture and see what it looks like once you thicken it. Use med to low heat and stir contantly while thickening)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by andserco View Post
    Hell, Ive never been east of the Mississippi River...good luck on the cooking..we will need pics..

You mean except for Florida??
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    This is a recipe that you do not want to cook in cast iron. Cast Iron will turn your gravy gray and we want it to come out white.

You'll need:
    1 tbl. cooking oil
    1 med onion chopped fine
    Milk.
    Wondra.

In a non cast iron fry pan sautee onions. Slowly crumble in the sauage meat into the cooking onions. Keep stiring it occasionally to keep the sausage meat broken up. Add Meat Magic and continue to cook until sausage is brown.

When cooked, remove from heat and place mixture in a colander and drain away the grease.

Put drained mixture into a non cast iron pot. Cover the mixture with room temperature milk until it is approx. 1/4" above the sausage mixture. Heat the whole mixture up to simmer and thicken it with Wondra.

( The milk part is by eye. The better sausage will not have as much grease in it so you would use less milk. If you want to streech it out you add more milk. But start with the 1/4" above the mixture and see what it looks like once you thicken it. Use med to low heat and stir contantly while thickening)

I understand why I have never had sausage gravy and biscuits, none of those ingredients are available here. I will try to find substitutes and give it a whirl. Thanks alot benncool.

Post Likes

shrimp yum yum

we wrapped some shrimps with thinly sliced proscuitto ( a cured salty/sweet ham) and had a little dipping sauce I cant recall the sauce though ... the shrimps are cooked perfectly protected by the proscuitto and the proscuitto is a little crispy have fun and good luck
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Post Likes

You'll need:
    1 tbl. cooking oil
    1 med onion chopped fine
    Milk.
    Wondra.

Geez, I just went back and reread the recipe I posted. I forgot to put down the 2 pounds of McKensie ground sauage. Ooops.

Frostie where are you from ??

Post Likes
    Omg so many good recipies im hungryy.... thinking about those grilled lamb chops ufff it been a while since I had them. I might stop at the SuperM. to get some for this weekend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deejer28 View Post
    we wrapped some shrimps with thinly sliced proscuitto ( a cured salty/sweet ham) and had a little dipping sauce I cant recall the sauce though ... the shrimps are cooked perfectly protected by the proscuitto and the proscuitto is a little crispy have fun and good luck
    I love prosciutto, we tried it on the shrimp and found that the fat from the bacon complimented the shrimp and had an overall better appearance. Wrapping them is a PITA though. We did figure out using the par cooked bacon worked very well.

We did use the prosciutto to wrap some balsamic marinated and grilled asparagus as a garnish in another dish, that went very well.

Post Likes
    Getting ready for the rockin rib-fest at anheuser busch this coming weekend, it snuck up on us cause it's a week earlier this year. Did some test runs this past weekend and with a few adjustments we are feeling pretty good about it. If anyone can make it stop by.

Post Likes
    Stvc, I sent you my cell # on a PM. We are getting down to the wire. I want to get info so I can find you when we get there.

Post Likes
    Yea, it's coming quick! We have all been too busy to get together and figure everything out.

We did win second place in Ribs and third in flank steak at the rockin rib-fest though.

benncool, will get in touch.

Post Likes
    Well the big weekend is finally here. I just got off of the phone with STVC and he is getting to the brewry on Friday. I asked him for directions to were he will be set up so I can find him. He said, "look for my friend Kevin-he is really big". That's pretty nice-- using your friend as a landmark.

My friends and wife and I are camping in a little town called Ascutney VT. It is one exit below Winsor. We will be leaving at 9:30 tomorrow(Fri.) It takes us about 1.5 hours to get there. Winsor Vt is northeast of Bennington on the Connecticut River.

I'll try to post some pictures for you all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in