Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thought I would throw in an update.
    Very cold, -10, I'm happy with results.

Thanks for the overwhelming support, till next time...

Hello again, looks like the compressor is low on oil.
    I still don't know where I am supposed to add more oil.
    I have narrowed it down to one of the two 1/4" plugs.
    Can someone please share their EXPERIENCE and offer some advice.
    thanks

You can add oil through the suction service valve.

Add it slow and do it with the compresser running so you will see your running oil level...good luck.

Originally posted by bryan l
    R-12 I have been "initated" more times than I care to admit and it still happens.

Now how you fill the oil is to take the 1/4"plug out of the side of the head (its the one in the front almost pointing forward.) make sure you pump as much as possable in there. Then you have to prime it by "Bumping" the compressor until the oil will freely flow down into the compressor. At first this may sound really loud, but keep doing it. eventually you will learn you should not ask these kinds of questions online. These BASIC questions should be answered by your Journeyman, or local Fridge guy. if you dont know... dont touch.
    This is crap!! If you can not give good advice aboput how to do something, then give no advice at all. I agree that this guy should not be working on this compressor, but I do not think that telling him to do something that he might not know is wrong is correct. Someone could get hurt. And it might be your fault. Maybe this guy is new to the trade and his boss has sent him to do something he knows nothing about, but he can't afford to tell the boss no.

Originally posted by NedFlanders
    You can add oil through the suction service valve.

Add it slow and do it with the compresser running so you will see your running oil level...good luck.
    Ned you are quite right. I am amazed every time someone says to pull the plug on the compressor and add the oil there. Even if the compressor is empty and you can not run it you can add oil through the suction service valve slowly until the oil level is correct. The suction cooled compressors have a check valve that lets the oil drain right into the crankcase, and the compressors that have suction returning right to the head have a small venturi tube that allows oil to enter the crankcase. The only compressor I know of that chargeing an empty compressor through the suction will damage the compressor is the Cralyle 06E body compressors. The motor cavity is not equilized with a check valve on these and the oil must pass to the crankcase by flowing through the suction cavity in the compressor. If you charge one of these through the suction while it is off and then turn it on, they take a big gulp of oil and make a big bangging sound

bryan l Guest
    Originally posted by refer dude 2479

This is crap!! If you can not give good advice aboput how to do something, then give no advice at all. I agree that this guy should not be working on this compressor, but I do not think that telling him to do something that he might not know is wrong is correct. Someone could get hurt. And it might be your fault. Maybe this guy is new to the trade and his boss has sent him to do something he knows nothing about, but he can't afford to tell the boss no. [/B]
    Its sarcastic. This guy should not be touching the compressor AT ALL!!!! He may get hurt? Hell lots of people can get hurt if guys like this screw with things they should not be touching. And why cant this guy ask the Boss? Afraid to admit he does not know something? How about when he craters the compressor by doing something stupid, how is he going to explain that? This trade is not one you learn from your local Home Depot store, Trade school AND on the job training is the only way. NOBODY here should be telling ANYONE how to do anything this basic. This is how the REAL hacks come to be and hurt other people. I pride myself in the fact I help others when they need it, and ask for it. This type of thing is WRONG!

Here's my two cents worth...

redd needs a friend. Someone to show him the way. And we're all here for that very purpose.
    Of course, some of us are better suited to Mentoring than others.
    But that goes without saying.
    And no offense meant to anyone here....

Bryan, I agree with him.

Refer dude, lighten up.
    So far Redd is happy with us and why should you or anyone else make him feel differently about us?
    What purpose would it serve?

He's happy. He doenst feel insulted nor shold he. He hasnt been insulted nor is he likely to be ... if we all keep it easy and light.

Besides, if you really want something to gripe about, go read what I just posted on Husman Haters.

Originally posted by R12rules
    Here's my two cents worth...

redd needs a friend. Someone to show him the way. And we're all here for that very purpose.
    Of course, some of us are better suited to Mentoring than others.
    But that goes without saying.
    And no offense meant to anyone here....

Bryan, I agree with him.

Besides, if you really want something to gripe about, go read what I just posted on Husman Haters.

Redd does need a friend, and that was my point. He came to the site and asked a question. He deserved an honest answer to his question. If the answer was a step by step on what to do, fine. If the answer was you don't know enough about what you are doing, get help that is fine too. I just think it is inappropriate to give advice, even if it is in sarcasm, that might be misunderstood as fact by someone who seems to be in the dark about what he is doing. This is how people get hurt. I know that when I was new in the trade, 28 years ago, there were people that liked to play pranks on the newbies, and I fell for my fare share of pranks. It is a great way to learn from your peers, but i think that the advice given by Bryan crossed the line a bit.

I will try to lighten up some, but I enjoy what I do and take it serious when I have to....

I think you and I share a common interest in trying to share the facts of the trade.

P.S.
    I have rad and posted in the Hussmann Haters Subject. I have lived with Hussmann here in the SF area. This is where all of it seemed to start in the early 1990's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12