Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm working on an installation, and this is the first discus I've worked on.
    Trying to find out where the oil drains and where do I add oil. Compressor model # 2DA3-0600-TFC
    Copeland's got a Dimensional Drawing online, nothing about draining oil. I have been looking online for more info on this subject, no luck.
    Any suggestions?

Usually its the plug to the left of the oil pump, little lower down on that side.

thanks, If only I knew where the oil pump was....

The oil level sight glass is on the bottom right of the front of the compressor (the side with the nameplate, model # etc.), a few inches to the right, around the bend I see a small cover, with 2 bolts. And to the right of them 2 bolts, another bolt which copeland has labeled "external access crankcase heater if specified".

Am I getting close?

Originally posted by redd
    thanks, If only I knew where the oil pump was....

The oil level sight glass is on the bottom right of the front of the compressor (the side with the nameplate, model # etc.), a few inches to the right, around the bend I see a small cover, with 2 bolts. And to the right of them 2 bolts, another bolt which copeland has labeled "external access crankcase heater if specified".

Am I getting close?
    It's under the oval shaped plate.

The plate needs a new gasket once you take it off.

Behind that plate are a spring and a screen. You SHOULD clean the screen with either Virginia #10, or, my personal preference, brake cleaner. (Yes, the stuff available in auto parts stores.)

Make sure you put the screen and the spring back in the way they came out. This is important.

Now, all that said, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I have my doubts that you should be servicing this thing without experienced guidance, if you don't know what the oil pump looks like. Is there a refrigeration tech in your area you can call for guidance while you work on this? Any mistake can become an expensive one...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

The 2 bolts is it. Kind of a oblong plate about an inch and a half wide?

Thanks again, the oil is now drained.
    On the side where I drained the oil, there is a round plate, held by 3 bolts, looks like the same diameter as the oil level sight glass, and same height. Is that where I add oil?

And thanks superdave, I will try out the brake cleaner. Any brand preference, or is it all the same?

No, that's a sightglass port. Your sightglass can be installed there or on the side.

The oil should be added throught he suction service valve.

Brake cleaner preference is: whatever is cheapest.

It's NOT FAIR!!!

This guy hasnt been sprayed! He should have been sprayed!

You guys prevented him from entering in thru the rights of passage by getting properly initiated ... ie; getting oil all over his-self as well as everywhere with a fifty meter area around him.

Now... no one will ever believe he is one of us, simply cause he has never been sprayed, (initiated) properly.

I didn't TELL him to take the pressure off the pump first, relax.

Gonna be hard to fill to 1/2 a sightglass through that blank off plate.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

bryan l Guest
    R-12 I have been "initated" more times than I care to admit and it still happens.

Now how you fill the oil is to take the 1/4"plug out of the side of the head (its the one in the front almost pointing forward.) make sure you pump as much as possable in there. Then you have to prime it by "Bumping" the compressor until the oil will freely flow down into the compressor. At first this may sound really loud, but keep doing it. eventually you will learn you should not ask these kinds of questions online. These BASIC questions should be answered by your Journeyman, or local Fridge guy. if you dont know... dont touch.

Yes I know, it's a stupid question. But I did not remember exactly, and wanted to make sure. I see only two 1/4" plugs, one is about 2 inches above and to the left of the oil level sight glass, and it has a 1/4" flare going to the pressure control. The other one is on the side with a 1/4 flare (schrader connection). I assume you mean the one next to the oil sight glass. Otherwise I think everything else went allright. Up and running 2 days now. Freezer won't drop below 15 F. Now the pressure is at 7 and 195. I'll be putting on a new tev tomorrow, that should help. Also new filters, again. Maybe the low oil level also is a factor. Yes I did go through the blank off plate, and the oil got just below the 1/2 mark. My experience is in industrial controls and electric, but I got enough success stories and experience to be confident in my abilities to do this project, despite the fact that I may overlook something time to time. I appreciate the help.
    "Bumping" the compressor, you mean letting it run 10-20 seconds, then off, repeating several times, right.

bryan l Guest
    OH MY GOD... PLEASE CALL SOMEBODY!!!! should change your name to "Parts changer"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast