Thoughts on a proposal
I have received a proposal for installation of a brand new HVAC system in my house. The house has basement, first floor, second floor and finished attick. The plan is to have two separate systems, one for basement and first floor, and the other for the 2-3rd floor. The first floor is about 1300 sq ft, basement 800, 2nd floor 1000, 3rd floor 500.
Few questions for you.
1) The 2-3rd floor system would be installed in the attic. I am in Mass where we do get a pretty cold winter. I want to have a 95% unit, given the rebates from the gas company and the improved efficiency. I plan on finishing up the attic area as a utility room with insulation on the walls and either insulation or reflectix on the roof rafters (suggestions welcome).
What is the best way to have a drain pan for the system to prevent freezing? Open a small 4 inch cut in the duct to allow for heating in that area? Would that suffice?
2) The proposed system is Heil, 2 stage variable speed. H9MVX060F12. The proposal is for 60,000 btu per system. I would like a humidifier, and the proposal is for the Truesteam HM506 in the first floor, and Skuttle 2100 in the attic. Why is he hesitant to put the steam humidifier in the attic? I would like to have a nice steam humidifier in the 2/3 floor since at night a good humidification would help avoid the dryness. Is the skuttle enough for this area of 5 bedrooms plus 3 full bathrooms? (approx 1600 sq ft). How about the 6 gallon truesteam for the downstairs?
3) How is heil overall. From what I have read on the forum, it is important to pick the right installer, and this guy has been in the business for 30 years. He installs Heil equipment so I feel he would do a good job.
4) Filtering - Is MERV 10 filtering the best for money/optimal solution?
5) recommendation for a good thermostat to go with this set up?
6) He is proposing 1.8 ton for first floor and 3 tons for second floor. The Manual J calc that somebody else did came up with 28k cooling 53k heating for first floor and 24k/44k for the second floor.
Your thoughts are highly appreciated.
he is installing safety pan switch.
I assume he wants to put the tru-steam on only the lower floor unit and a bypass in the upper floor. He may be worried about the tru-steam vaporizing in the attic space, or water leakage potential. Heil equipment is decent, and sounds like you have found an experienced contractor. He can give you ideas on what thermostat he recommends, whether programable or not, I'd recommend a digital thermostat, never install the old mercury or point type. Sounds good over-all!
yes, that is the setup for the humidifiers. I would like one of the smart thermostats that controls the humidifier as well (on the first floor). Aren't some checking outside temperature as well?
Originally Posted by wahoo
In terms of insulating the area around the furnace, how much of the insulation needs to occur.
I can make a utility room, but I am concerned about the roof. Should I try to insulate the roof as well, or should I maybe install reflectix.
It is Mass, so you can get 5 degree weather in the winter.