+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What the hell - Scotsman?

Post Likes
    Worked on a Scotsman SLE300 machine today. First thing I check on any Hoshi or Scotsman is the bin control. So I put my meter across it, and it's closed. Ok, that's not the problem. So I stare at the wiring diagram till I'm blue in the face, think I have it figured out, and maybe it's a defrost t'stat stuck closed, energizing the K1 relay. I pull the wire from the DT and the unit starts and freezes. It goes into harvest and stops after a minute (because of the wire I pulled off the DT). For the life of me, I can't figure out what the K1 relay is for. I gotta be missing something.

So...I go on the internet (luckily the customer is hooked up), and I find that the bin control needs to be OPEN to make ice and I'm looking at the diagram all wrong. What the hell Scotsman? Who ever heard of such foolishness?

Even their manual on the web is screwed up. In one place it tells you it needs to be closed. Another place it says it needs to be open. Boy did I feel silly.

Post Likes

Talking

So what else is new about Scotsman, they send you a pocket manula and then tell you some of the information is wrong. anyhow I will look for the information you need as I am supposedly an Ice Care dealer. If you talk to factory service 1 800 533 6006, ask for Fred only. He was in the firld 28 years before going inside, the rest are just paper wizards.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    Tuchey ......(however you spell it)......What I would like to know is where the heck they hid that smoke detector that I went searching for on the Pizza Hut system!!!

You A/C guys know where that type of stuff is hidden. We low temp guys are left to fend for ourselves when on a call and no control voltage ... right after a lighteniong storm the night before ..... hmmmmm... should be simple ... right?
    WRONG!!!

Made a fool of myself.
    Made my boss so angry he could spit nails.
    Upset the other department heads cause they were mad my boss wasnt there to talk me thur the problem. But he was on vacation FISHING!

You'd never think the manager of one department would be mad cause a tech from another department phoned him with a simple question to have answered.

That's what I love about this site. You can post stupid questions and have intelligent people respond with smart answers.
    (inteligent respopnces) I meant......

Post Likes

Talking

Here is what is stated on the Scotsman CD-ROM.
    "The purpose of the K1 re4lay is to shut off the ice machine by cutting power to the Ice size control and the coil of the contactor. It further states, whenever there is ice on the bin thermostat, it closes a circuit to the coil of the K1 relay stopping the ice making process at the end of harvest.
    Well I hope this helps you out.

Post Likes
    Yeah, thanks. Once I figured out about the bin stat, I was able to figure out the K1 relay. But more importantly: where did you get the CD-rom? Does it have all the Scotsmans on there?

Post Likes
    CD

Good question, would like to have one of those myself!!!!!

Post Likes
    Whoever designs those wiring diagram for Lennox RTU's should be shot as well.....
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes

Talking

The reason I have this CD-ROM is because I am an Ice Care Dealer{aothorized servicer), however talk to them at 1 800 533 6006 I am quite sure they will let you know if it is available to others. Also talk to Les Tatum, he is the Regional Service Manager.

Post Likes
    Hey, thanks for the info. I called Scotsman and they gave me the part # for the CD. Ordered from my local distributor and it's on the way. I didn't ask the cost. I just want one.

Post Likes
    You mentioned going on-line. I checked my references and I don't yet have the web site for Scotsman. Could you please post it. THat might come in handy. Thanks.

Post Likes

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in