+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote..... Octopus???

Post Likes

Talking Remote..... Octopus???

I found this beauty this morning. It was recently "installed". Check out how it is not secured to anything. I am sure it will be laying in the parking lot on the first windy day.
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better"

Post Likes
    I saw one this morning with "already flared" linesets. It was an "install" estimate that turned into "startup to keep my warranty" estimate.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    the main problem is the way the coils are looped and that they are on the roof. Someone should read the installation manual, if my memory serves me.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Scotsman doesn't want the precharged linesets cut, however the coils are to be horizontal and are to be left between the suspended ceiling and the roof. I have found this to be a major pain in the ass, so I now cut the lines to the proper length so as to not be a "factory approved" hack.
    We do it nice cause we do it twice!

Post Likes
    Ya, the looped line set is only one of the concerns. The store where this is at gets a good amount of wind during the winter months. The condenser weighs hardly anything at all. The wind will have this thing tied into a bow the first time it blows!

Post Likes
    Precharged lines for the DIYer. Connect and go no braze no nito no vac no charge no pride.

Makes a nice oil trap .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Precharged lines for the DIYer. Connect and go no braze no nito no vac no charge no pride.

Makes a nice oil trap .
    Agreed. Believe it or not, this customer paid a "contractor" to do that!!! Unreal.....

Post Likes
    Plan on serviceing the leaking fittings from all the wind vibration on that line set . When the insulation dry rots watch out superheat & flash gas.

Post Likes
    Absolutely, unacceptable looking installation. Contractor is the Master Hack. I agree, cut lines and do a real install. Oh wait, you need to have silver rod, nitro, and a b-tank, and a brain, WTF.

Post Likes
    I think I know why the lineset is such.....for future business expansion?
    Who knew.

Post Likes
    Here's a few more things ... It does not appear that the wood sleepers are pressure treated. Also they are running the wrong direction, running the other way and longer would make it more difficult to be lifted by wind. Another also ... no protection between the roof and sleepers. Oh, and leaving trash behind ... now that's a sign that they wanted to make sure you knew what crap work they do.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes

nice

looks like a fine job isolating that condensing unit with a field installed vibabsorber. We see that alot when they had the precharged line sets for resi ac installs... hard to believe they were paid for that
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Post Likes
    the line set works as a anchor. I did have a job once where i couldn't use any anchors in the roof because it would void thier 20 year warranty on the roof.

Post Likes
    The customer mentioned they might be adding another story to the building.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    All the guy had to do was install the condenser another 10 feet from the roof penetration.
    The extra piping will come in handy when pulling the unit back up on the roof, like a built in rope so to speak.

Post Likes
    I'm suprised he didn't use sandbags to anchor it down lol

Post Likes
    All you guys are missing the point of installing it like that.

Clearly the installing contractor saw that the place needed a new roof, so he installed the unit in such a manner that it would be easy for the roofers to move out of the way while they reroofed the area it sits on.

The world needs more forward thinkers like that looking out for the needs of others.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thefreezerguy View Post
    I am sure it will be laying in the parking lot on the first windy day.
    I think you were right...

Post Likes

Talking Very well...

"Very well Stanley...I'll do it myself, now hand me the hammer..." (Insert Oliver Hardy voice over here)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    All you guys are missing the point of installing it like that.

Clearly the installing contractor saw that the place needed a new roof, so he installed the unit in such a manner that it would be easy for the roofers to move out of the way while they reroofed the area it sits on.

The world needs more forward thinkers like that looking out for the needs of others.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in