Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm still shakin' my head on this one.

Got a call from an old customer, who just bought another ice cream stand. Walk-in freezer down. This is what I found. The immediate problem was low charge, but as I looked around more, I couldn't believe this thing had been cooling at all. The box is an old "Penn" about 6' x 10', and probably 45 years old. I used to work on it at a local school 15 years ago, they replaced it and I hear it went to this place about 10 years ago. New refrigeration was added at that time, Copeland 1 HP semi and Larkin coil. And yes, the rear of the coil is facing the interior. Discharging air to the rear wall.

This shot is taken from the floor up, showing the discharge air blowing at the rear wall. Fan guard is about 8" from the wall.

Want to service the TXV? Good luck getting into the side access panel.

The air movment was so poor, the coil must have iced up super fast. There were 6 defrost cycles, 35 min each, per 24 hr.

The strange thing is, the installer did a neat fitting job, even used a liquid/suction line sub-cooler. Quality equipment... Why this?

There are a few other beauties in the pics... see if you can find them.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

What's that extension cord powering?
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    What's that extension cord powering?
    Heat tape for the drain line. Masking tape to hold the insulation on, and duct tape (right side)mounts the "wiring" to the wall.

Smile

Appears that the individuals that put this in didn't work on commercial refrigeration very often (or never). The freezers I've repaired were hard enough to get to without being installed backwards (although the evaporator is much easier to clean this way, just kiddin). Going to work on that with a freezer piled high with product is enough to make you have a bad day. Thanks for the pics Baub, I realized after seeing them that some of the stuff I have been on really wasn't that bad after all :-).

The wiring should be seal-tite instead of mc cable.

A little insulation on the sensing bulb might be nice and is it kosher to mount it on the bottom like that?

Except for the bent fins it looks very clean.

Oh, and what's up with the wood?

Is that the SENSOR BULB for the T-STAT stuck against the lower section of the coil? Wonder if it short cycles?

freezer f u

Figure a day to turn coil around. Have fun!
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Oh My God!!!!!...................

Talk about a job to run.....not just walk away from! Just looking at the pictures I'm so overwhelmed I'm not sure where I would even start to remedy this mess.

You've got the dating of the box pretty close I'd say. I remember Penn walk-ins that my father sold back in the fifties and sixties. See that round panel section in the wall? That's a handhole for getting at the through-bolts that held the panels together.....no cam-locks. The panels had a wood frame and fiberglass insulation that had a bad tendency to get completely waterlogged.

If this coil is properly matched with the condensing unit and the box load, then it should have been installed along the 10 ft sidewall and not across the 6 ft back wall. Granted, it's not the ideal arrangement, but at least it would be accessible for service. The original evaporator was probably a big old single fan Larkin blow through type and that's likely why Goober hung the new one tis way.

This is a good example of why you should finsh the job and the have some beers looks like they drank first worked second. Amazing

I'm happy to say....

This installation is history. Gutted the box, and sealed up the equipment yesterday. After showing my customer the full horror of the situation, he agreed it was best to cut his loses. Box will be dry storage for now, and he got a large chest freezer for storing the 5 gal. commercial tubs of ice cream.

Anyone need a 1HP Copeland semi, low temp R-22, with evap and all the misc. goodies?

Free

Shipping included right? LOL
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Re: I'm happy to say....

Originally posted by baub
    This installation is history. Gutted the box, and sealed up the equipment yesterday. After showing my customer the full horror of the situation, he agreed it was best to cut his loses. Box will be dry storage for now, and he got a large chest freezer for storing the 5 gal. commercial tubs of ice cream.......
    That's very good news indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast