Hi All,

I'm a newbie here, and sure glad I found this forum.

I picked up a used fridge for our cabin last fall. It was working fine at that time. It sat all winter without being used. Now, its not cooling at all. Neither the fridge or the freezer.

The compressor is running, and the fan is circulating air, but it just doesn't blow cold air. The coils dont get warm. After a couple of hours, the compressor was slightly warm, and the first 6 inches of the output line as well.

I suspect its low on refrigerant, but I briefly pushed the shrader valve with my fingernail, and there was pressure in there. However, without putting a guage set on there, I suppose I cant really tell how much is in there.

I do have an old guage set for R-12 auto systems. If it manages to hook up to that fridge, what kind of pressures would I be looking for? Same as automotive a/c systems?

Am I looking in the wrong direction? Is there something else I should look for?

Ryan.

If you have an access to check the preasure.
    The suction side should be a preasure of about one pound when the compreser is runing,high side about 40-60 or so.
    If it is turned off pressure shoul be about 30 pounds both high side and low side. Iam talking about a R12 system.
    Check it out.

Ok, hooked up my guages...

and there was about 30 psi in the high side, and a vacuum on the other side (while it was running). I added some freon, and the pressure went to 55 or so on the high side, and the vacuum stayed the same on the suction side. Is this correct or should there be pressure, and not a vacuum on the suction side?

Re: Ok, hooked up my guages...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rlester
    and there was about 30 psi in the high side, and a vacuum on the other side (while it was running). I added some freon, and the pressure went to 55 or so on the high side, and the vacuum stayed the same on the suction side. Is this correct or should there be pressure, and not a vacuum on the suction side?

[
    /QUOTE]
    The best way to charge a frige is by weight.
    For get that unless you have a good scale.
    I have on maney refers charged to no more than 1pound on low side when running.
    Vacume is ok if it is working fine.
    If you got frost to your compressor it is charged to much.
    Get to the evaporator and charge so the frost line stops at the exit of the evaporator.

Like I said the best way is to use a scale.

I have a refer that is 3 years running on the way i charged as i stated above.

Keep in mined that if you have to charge it it does have a leak. If the leak is on the low side it will suck air into it when runing.

Put in more Feeeeezone, get suction press to about 10psi, head about 135.
    Next time it quits, junk that junker.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Put in more Feeeeezone, get suction press to about 10psi, head about 135.
    Next time it quits, junk that junker.
    I think 10psi is to high. anytime I ever put more than 3psi on low side the frost is hitting the compressor.
    Every machine is its own.

Don't we need to back up a few steps and locate the leak first? Then we can talk about about charging procedures. That stuff had to leak out somewhere.

the stuff!!!!!!!!!!What 8oz., Your congressman or woman, spent over 10 million, on what? Please let me know when you find out.