Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

UV resistant coating for armaflex

I installed a new 15 ton condenser and line set in Houston. It failed inspection because the city requires a UV coating on the armaflex. I did some research and there are a few options. What is everyone using?

Post Likes
    My experience stems from solar hot water systems with outdoor plumbing insulation out in the sun. For the best durability you could go with aluminum jacketing for instance from RPR Products.

google RPR Products Aluminum Roll Jacketing. It comes with a moisture retarder inside to reduce corrosion. Your local industrial insulation supplier should be able to get it.

I have used flat black paint but it only lasts a couple of years and must be repainted. Some solar installers use wide aluminum tape and run multiple pieces lengthwise to cover the insulation. Ive seen electricians tape used but I wouldn't advise that.

Post Likes
    What about one of those chases that look like downspout? That hardware is made especially for the HVAC industry I thought.

Post Likes
    The condenser is sitting on a flat roof. The line set is supported by 4x4's with clamps on unistrut. It will have to be some kind of tape, paint or aluminum.

Post Likes
    They sell an Aluminum Oxide Paint at most supply warehouses. I picked up a gallon from United Refrigeration not to long ago.

Post Likes
    Hey AL2O3 paint sounds good but it might still need to be repainted every two years or so. If you'll be servicing this equipment once a year then go for the paint.

Post Likes
    They make the white plastic covering with elbows and whatever.

Post Likes
    I generally use a elastomeric roof coating from Henry or Gardner. Just brush on liberally, lasts 3-5 years. Looks good too.

Post Likes
    United sells the white UV paint that you're supposed to use for this, but... damn, its spendy. Last time I just popped in for a gallon, and didn't even look at the price. At a price very near a dollar an ounce, I'd be more inclined next time to just paint the insulation with some white latex house paint. I bet the inspector couldn't spot the difference.

Post Likes
    Would the cost savings be worth it if you got fined for not using the correct product ?
    i would rather pay the extra cost and do it right

Post Likes
    I used this back in Florida and it withstood the sun for years with no problem. They recommends re-coating once every year or two, but I found that to be unnecessary:

Armaflex WB Finish - UV Resistant Coating

Check out Icemeister's Back Room

Read My Latest Rambling:
    What Is Mechanical Subcooling?

...and a new calculator:
    Nitrogen Pressure Calculator

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I used this back in Florida and it withstood the sun for years with no problem. They recommends re-coating once every year or two, but I found that to be unnecessary:

Armaflex WB Finish - UV Resistant Coating
    "Site can't be reached"

That's probably what I tried to find. It's made by the people who make Armaflex, specifically for that. But every result I've tried so far has been "site can't be reached". At least, for me and my computer.

Post Likes
    how much more time does it take to apply aluminum or pvc lagging verses painting?

seems like the lagging might be faster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast