Post Likes

Licence help! Ontario, Canada

Hello, I'm new to HVAC. Im in school right now for my G3,G2 and a HVAC course to help challenge the exam once I get my hours in.

Questions:

Does my 4500 hours for 313D transfer to my 313A apprenticeship?

Will 313A override a 313D licence?
    (Should I just go for 313A or should I go for the 313D then the 313A)

Does any of my apprenticeships for the previous transfer for my sheet metal license? I know this is unlikely..

What is the best approach to obtain all my licenses I will need?
    313D, than 313A, than sheet metal licence?

Do I need a Gas 1 licence to obtain my 313A?

End goal:
    G1 Licence - 313A & 313D licence - Sheet Metal licence
    + Anything else I would need for the HVACR industry that I have not mentioned

Please help me so I can achieve this! I don't want to waste time! I know it will take many, many years.

Post Likes
    What you need is to get in with a good company and log the hours spent working on appropriate equipment. The 313D and 313A are both apprenticeships so you need to find a company that is hiring and be competent enough for them to take you on as an apprentice. Sheet metal is something else all on its own and isn't HVAC exclusive. The refrigeration licenses are years down the road there is a shortage of journeyman and a critical shortage of apprenticeship spots so just finding anybody hiring and willing to train you is the biggest hurdle. My advice is take your gas ticket and get a job as a helper and start working wherever you can in the industry. Technically Ontario doesn't have apprenticeships for gas guys but in reality you still need to put in your time to get anywhere. What course are you taking to challenge which exam?

Post Likes
    You sound like where I was a few years ago (aside from tin banging). I finished the G3/2 school, hired on with coop company as laborer, proved myself, apprentice spot opened up and signed as 313A. I also stated keeping a log of everything I see that's over 400,000btu the day I got my G2 so I'm ready for G1 as soon as my 2 years is up.

Answers

Questions:

Does my 4500 hours for 313D transfer to my 313A apprenticeship?

No

Will 313A override a 313D licence?
    (Should I just go for 313A or should I go for the 313D then the 313A)

Yes

Does any of my apprenticeships for the previous transfer for my sheet metal license? I know this is unlikely..

Limited knowledge on tin banging - but it's another trade that requires apprenticeship so you would need an employer to sponser you I'd assume. Also not sure if you can have two active apprenticeships at the same time.

What is the best approach to obtain all my licenses I will need?
    313D, than 313A, than sheet metal licence?

What Sooty said - gas tickets first, get hired as helper, prove yourself and if there's an apprentice spot then hopefully company signs you. Then potentially 5 years later if all goes well you finish last school session and write 313A exam

Do I need a Gas 1 licence to obtain my 313A?

No. But obtaining the G1 will make you more valuable/attractive to an employer. You need to have 2 years working experience with a G2 and 500 hours worth of documented equipment over 400,000btu. (Location, make, model, serial, etc). Local school in Ottawa won't even let you take the G1 course until you have all these documents.