Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: SCAM ALERT!

Exclamation SCAM ALERT!

Directed at HVAC business's.

You could be contacted by e-mail, the "person" usually depicted as a female with hearing problems will inquire about the purchase of equipment. In this case 3 mini-splits for a friend or orphanage.
    They will supply you with credit card number(s) that will initially work, and arrange to pick the equipment up at your shop. As this progresses the purchaser will suddenly have a family emergency and ask you to arrange shipment thru a nationally known shipping company that will not accept credit cards. You will be asked to write a check for payment to the shipping company and again charge the fees to a credit card.
    They of course are being shipped overseas, in this case Ghana.
    In this case the scam was found out well before the loss of any equipment or dollars...don't let yourself become a success for them, these people are very good actors and will try and get your emotions to lead you into doing something that you will regret!
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 11-21-2009 at 01:17 PM.

I think it was the same people that called me a couple of months ago regarding the sale of sheet metal - they wanted to but about 10 grand of 4 x 10 sheets, but when they wanted it sipped, I told them "something like" no thanks. They use a translating person that is supposedly from the phone company reading what they type and typing what you say - pretty standard thing from my understanding, but this one didn't feel right either, just real unprofessional.

About 2 weeks after this happened to me, I caught a story on the news about a jewelry store that fell for the scam and was out about 12 grand or so. Don't get caught up in the amount of the sale and not cover your butt. If you suspect anything, call the CC company and have them verify it with the card holder.
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?

A dial tone is all they would have got from me, had only been scamed once at work. Some woman with a sexy voice was tring to sell cleaner by the pallet. when I told her I was not intrested she started to ask me qestions that I would answer yes to, recieved 2 pallets of cleaner 2 weeks later.
    Called company up and they played me a recording of me saying yes to 2 pallets and then they asked me if shipping address was same as billing yes to that to, this stuff sat there for a long time before they came to pick it, I was going to drain it all out and have all the service techs piss in it because thats what it looked like.

Next time they call tell them you are recording this for customer satisfaction. I will also keep saying hello and then say to someone in the room "I can't hear anyone". It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Directed at HVAC business's.

You could be contacted by e-mail, the "person" usually depicted as a female with hearing problems will inquire about the purchase of equipment. In this case 3 mini-splits for a friend or orphanage.
    They will supply you with credit card number(s) that will initially work, and arrange to pick the equipment up at your shop. As this progresses the purchaser will suddenly have a family emergency and ask you to arrange shipment thru a nationally known shipping company that will not accept credit cards. You will be asked to write a check for payment to the shipping company and again charge the fees to a credit card.
    They of course are being shipped overseas, in this case Ghana.
    In this case the scam was found out well before the loss of any equipment or dollars...don't let yourself become a success for them, these people are very good actors and will try and get your emotions to lead you into doing something that you will regret!
    This must be the next generation of internet scams. I always use to get an email from somebody in an African country that had millions of pounds worth of forbidden currency tied up in a Swiss bank account. They needed a European bank to release and exchange the funds. All they needed from me was my name and address, account number, sort code, and for me to give them my cheque book. In return they would pay me 75% of the said funds for doing this, they were so transparent.

Another email was from a distant relative of a wealthy dead widow whose husband had either died from an illness or had been killed in a plane crash. And they had over $80000000.00 tied up in assets and had no bank account which to liquidate the said assets. And if nobody claimed the right to the fortunes of the said dead. It would go to the go to the government, as she was bankrupt and was unable to open a bank account. And she needed to use someone else's bank account to release the said funds into, and needed my account number, sort code, and my name and address, and my cheque book. In return they would pay me 33% of the said funds for doing this.

Sorry but I feel I need to digress further, hope you don't mind.

When I worked for myself a couple of years ago, the amount of nuisance sales calls and bogus charities that used to ring me up and ask for money for a charity that I'd never heard of was unbelievable. Although I never donated to them, after a while I got wise and asked them how much their turnover was, how much running costs were, and how much the so called charity actually received for its cause.

They wouldn't disclose the information and a lot of the time they would get aggressive with you by shouting and swearing, or they would call you an effing tight bast*rd or just hang up on you. If I didn't have the time to speak to them I would just hang up on them. After a while you get to know the difference between a genuine business call and a time waster such as them within a few seconds of answering. The line was usually quiet at first and they would ask to speak to the business owner, or the call display wouldn't start with a local area code.

And to be honest if I had the time and was that road out, I would reverse the conversation and turn it into a business call just for the crack. And asked them if I could interest them in a rewire, fire alarm, security system, wiring report, or air con etc. The outcome was quite comical, as they would reply in confusion we're a charity etc, etc. And I would reply right thats fine and dandy but you are through to an electrical contractor and which service would you like, or my reply would be if you don't want my services don't ring this number.

Some would argue that you were being unreasonable and depriving their objective, and I would stop them in their conversation and tell them to ring our other number... 999 (911) and ask the operator if they would like to make a donation to their so called cause and see what the outcome would be! As you can imagine they they stop ringing you, but only for a while.

If I was entirely that road out and had nothing else better to do. I would put on a camp voice and greet them with the reply hello and thank you for choosing gay dating, are you looking for a male or female gay partner for this evening. It was more fun when I was in the wholesalers and put the phone on loudspeaker mode so everyone could here. They soon got the message and hung up, you wouldn't hear from them for while till they started ringing again.

Apparently in the UK the first £1000.00 and only 10% of any other donations given to charities only have to be given to the cause, this is just what I've heard. The rest is kept for running costs, and most of them have a run down tiny cramped office space rented from a company that runs and supplies staffing to the so called charity, very dodgy. All they need to do is apply to the respective authority for recognition and then they're away. I am still trying to find out more about this as there has been a big increase over the past few years of these so called charities. I hope I find out it's not as easy as this, as this is far too easy.
    Martyn

50 & 60 hz but 100's worse

Here another one. Thw wife got a letter with a check from a company saying we got the grant for our kids college. The check looked real. She called the number and they said the check was to cover the expenses from securing the grant money for us. We give them a wire for the amount on the check and then deposit the check in our bank. They even had a web site with links to the .gov she aplied for the grant on. I called the bank the check was drawn on gave them the account number and they said yes that is a real check, but it is not valid anymore. They asked if we could send it to them to help with their case.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    If you don't want to be scammed, just don't agree to do anything that is not business as usual.

I have been getting call saying my portable POS is going to crash and they need my card numbers for the day, my POS Number, ect ect.

I do not have a POS anymore.........

Compromized cards...

Interact cards that are compromised…

Hang on to your card and swipe it yourself. Guard your pin with your life. As a recent victim I was informed that some staff may have card readers attached to their belts.
    The innocent wiping of the magnetic strip is not so innocent. This scam also has a strategically located person with a video camera.
    Once they have your pin and card it’s time for some shopping, usually off shore.

Hopefully your bank catches on quickly…

I was at a friend's house and the telemarketer who calls her a couple times a day and she always says "I'm on the do not call list" called.
    So I picked up with an accent HUUUlo. The woman started and I said some nonsense stuff in German, hoping she could not understand German, then...very slowly......Plizzz huuuuuuuuuld uuuun. then I set the phone down and quite a while later hung it up.
    Her calls were less frequent or stopped after that.
    I told my friend to do this too.

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post
    I would put on a camp voice and greet them with the reply hello and thank you for choosing gay dating, are you looking for a male or female gay partner for this evening. It was more fun when I was in the wholesalers and put the phone on loudspeaker mode so everyone could here. They soon got the message and hung up, you wouldn't hear from them for while till they started ringing again.
    Beats my reply

In the Greatest State Of CONFUSION OKLAHOMA
    Quote Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
    Interact cards that are compromised…

Hang on to your card and swipe it yourself. Guard your pin with your life. As a recent victim I was informed that some staff may have card readers attached to their belts.
    The innocent wiping of the magnetic strip is not so innocent. This scam also has a strategically located person with a video camera.
    Once they have your pin and card it’s time for some shopping, usually off shore.

Hopefully your bank catches on quickly…

That is has bad as here in Oklahoma in some convenience stores they still dont have cc readers on the pumps and want you to leave your card inside while you pump. I just go the the next station. You knoiw when the cc dosnt work in some places trhey take one of the old type cc runners with the roller or a crayon and go over your cc and make a copy of it to show you were in with the card. not a good thing but leaving your card in store while filling up....dumb.

In the Greatest State Of CONFUSION OKLAHOMA

Extended warranties.

Another Scam is Extended Warranties from Equi guard. If you have any form this bunch they are belly up AGAIN. Just as they were 20 to 30 years ago. Now another holding co has them and will as usual pay pinnies on the dollars of your service. A great scam to put ones kids through college with. about every 20 to 30 years these guys go belly up. I wont buy warranties again until I see a company named "Scam Me Not" in business.
    Farley Redfield

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast