Thread: no jobs ?

no jobs ?

i got a buddy who's been out of work for a month and a half and can't land anything respectable, the guy is sharp so i know it's not experiance or knowledge based, i have a feeling companies are paying less knowledgable guys to make more of a profit, is the maryland area suffering that bad, we do have one of the richest states in america, and tons of metropolitan cities

I doubt if it is his fault. Unemployment is high almost everywhere and people aren't spending and what they do spend for is just the essentials. Even where I live at here things haven't been too bad but lately the unemployment has jumped. Almost no one is building so that market has pretty much dried up. On top of that we the consumers have once again been hit with higher fuel prices which doesn't help much too. I haven't seen any HVAC jobs listed here where I live at since about Sept. of last year. I remember the downturn back in the early 80's and this recession is worse than that one. For one big reason the loss of manufacturing jobs has taken place over the years so this country has no manufacturing base to provide employment. Banks have become vultures this time. New jobs pay less. I wish things were better too.

Things aren't exactly great here either not as bad as you guys but I haven't seen any major companies hiring in quite some time.. Theres allot of fly by night and one van man companies poping up undercutting the bigger guys.

Maryland enacted a millionares tax last year. All the money is leaving...

what part of md is he?? commercial or residential. I might know some people in the commercial area.

silver spring area

sent u a pm cooler. If he is interested let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Things aren't exactly great here either not as bad as you guys but I haven't seen any major companies hiring in quite some time.. Theres allot of fly by night and one van man companies poping up undercutting the bigger guys.
    I am considering doing a one man operation myself. I have some experience from the military, quite a few pieces of HVAC equipment/tools, plus I have taken HVAC classes, currently taking more classes, and successfully and correctly fixed a few residential units on the side. I would like more field experience before I am forced go out on my own, but I cannot seem to find anyone willing to hire without 3-5 years experience in the industry. I study and search the internet to learn everything and anything I can on HVAC everyday. I gotta get started somewhere.