Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

two systems/one thermostat

I'm getting ready to install a new residential system. I'm wondering what is the best way (if cost effective) to control a hp and an outdoor wood burner from the same controller that in the past have run off two different stats. I'm looking at a Lennox unit and a Honeywell VisionPro 8000 series controller.

I use the wood burner in the winter and the hp in the summer. I'm all electric so the heat pump is my backup during the winter if I have a failure on the wood system. tia

2. Do-It-Yourself (DIY) - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own equipment. This is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted at the discretion of the Moderators.
    Just saying............

Moved to residential forum.

Are you a tech, or trying to DIY.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Every outdoor wood boiler I have ever seen was absolutely horrible for the environment, and not good for happy relations with your neighbors either. You just can't choke back a wood fire and get complete combustion, you just get a plume of particulate and incompletely burned gases. I don't mean to break topic, but they suck. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    Just saying............
    My apoligies for starting this threrad in the wrong sub-forum. Also, my apoligies that I led you to believe I was taking work from 'our' trade.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Moved to residential forum.

Are you a tech, or trying to DIY.
    I'm an Industrial HVAC/R Journeyman for a fortune 500 company. Due to working 65-84 hours a week I'm not proud to say I must hire a contractor to install my new system at home. I was trying to find out some info on what controls for residential systems might be available.....thanks for moving this to the proper forum for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    Every outdoor wood boiler I have ever seen was absolutely horrible for the environment, and not good for happy relations with your neighbors either. You just can't choke back a wood fire and get complete combustion, you just get a plume of particulate and incompletely burned gases. I don't mean to break topic, but they suck. Just sayin'.
    I live way out in the country and the closest neighbor to my wood boiler stack is over a quarter a mile away. Nobody has ever had any of the smoke from my boiler near their house! I burn fallen trees and tops from areas where timber has been cut so i don't cut down good trees. Due to the cut in energy use that I see on my electric bill I would assume my carbon footprint is smaller than if I were to utilize electric all the time. I keep the breaker on my water heater shut off all year.............you should get more information before you start criticizing. My wood boiler allowed me to cut my budget enough to allow my wife to stay home and raise our children. They don't 'suck' if used correctly in the appropriate application.....just sayin'.

If I'm understanding this right, the outdoor wood burner would be your 1st stage of heat, the hp would be 2nd. Do you have electric strips for backup in the event the wood burner goes down and it's too cold to run the hp?

Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    If I'm understanding this right, the outdoor wood burner would be your 1st stage of heat, the hp would be 2nd. Do you have electric strips for backup in the event the wood burner goes down and it's too cold to run the hp?
    Correct, and yes we are going to go ahead and add the electric backup since it isn't that much more expense.

Currently the stat for the wood burner stands alone with its own relay and transformer and it operates the indoor blower and circulation pump. And of course the hp stat operates the hp.

I guess you could use the Vision Pro IAQ t-stat. Have your wood burner for 1st. stage, the hp for 2nd stage and the electric strips for 3rd stage. You'll probably want the outdoor sensor for the t-stat so you can lock the compressor out when ambient falls below whatever setpoint you choose. I can't say for sure this would work, I've never tried it on a system like yours.

I guess you could use the Vision Pro IAQ t-stat. Have your wood burner for 1st. stage, the hp for 2nd stage and the electric strips for 3rd stage. You'll probably want the outdoor sensor for the t-stat so you can lock the compressor out when ambient falls below whatever setpoint you choose. I can't say for sure this would work, I've never tried it on a system like yours.
    Thanks so much for helping me big sky. Actually, after making my post I should clarify. My hp is never used in the winter.(only needed if pump failure or serious problem occured with burner and no parts available quickly) My house had a hp when I bought it and then I installed the wood burner. I really don't want to run the hp as stage two. I'm replacing the hp with another hp because one day I may be too old to cut and burn. I would prefer for it to be a manual changeover from one system to the other. I just need to do more research of what's available as far as a control that could differentiate from one system to another. I would suppose the air handler would also have to have an auxilliary relay that would only run the blower and my circulation pump. My contractor said I would need to stick with the two stat set-up. I just was hoping there was some form of controller on the market able to do what I need.

A. His area may not reach temps below -15F, so probably no reason to lock out the heat pump by outdoor temp.
    B. The IAQ won't work as easily to control the set up he wants, as you may think, since he will be a dual power source system.

He's better off with 2 thermostats.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A. His area may not reach temps below -15F, so probably no reason to lock out the heat pump by outdoor temp.
    B. The IAQ won't work as easily to control the set up he wants, as you may think, since he will be a dual power source system.

He's better off with 2 thermostats.
    Kinda what I was figuring, thank you all for the help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast