AC: Lennox vs. York ?

The 15-yr old A/C on my house is on its last legs... the R-22 leaks out every year and the compressor is on the fritz. So I'm in the market for a new A/C.

I live in northern Illinois, near chicago. My house is 15-yrs old, 2500 sq. feet, two stories, 4 bedroom, with big vaulted ceilings. Lots of windows, but they're decent units. My current A/C is 3.5 ton - some of the contractors recommend I replace it with a 3.5 ton, while others are quoting 4.0 ton units. (Others say 3.5 ton compressor with 4.0 ton evap)

How do I determine which size is correct?

Which of these units is more reliable? Are the prices fair?

Lennox 13ACX-48 13-seer 4-ton $
    York LX YCJF 14.5 seer 4-ton $

Every company I research has people writing good and bad reviews, it's hard to make a choice I feel good about.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-19-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Quote Originally Posted by ourmoneypit View Post
    The 15-yr old A/C on my house is on its last legs... the R-22 leaks out every year and the compressor is on the fritz. So I'm in the market for a new A/C.

I live in northern Illinois, near chicago. My house is 15-yrs old, 2500 sq. feet, two stories, 4 bedroom, with big vaulted ceilings. Lots of windows, but they're decent units. My current A/C is 3.5 ton - some of the contractors recommend I replace it with a 3.5 ton, while others are quoting 4.0 ton units. (Others say 3.5 ton compressor with 4.0 ton evap)

How do I determine which size is correct?

Which of these units is more reliable? Are the prices fair?

Lennox 13ACX-48 13-seer 4-ton $
    York LX YCJF 14.5 seer 4-ton $

Every company I research has people writing good and bad reviews, it's hard to make a choice I feel good about.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. The York has a higher SEER (more efficient). York makes a 13.00 SEER unit.
    My question is ....why go with a larger A/C system? Did your old system function okay when it did work?
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-19-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Removed prices from quote

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S 2 View Post
    You're comparing apples and oranges. The York has a higher SEER (more efficient). York makes a 13.00 SEER unit.
    My question is ....why go with a larger A/C system? Did your old system function okay when it did work?
    The old system worked, but on hotter days it seemed to be running constantly. I don't know if that was because it was too small or due to some other problem. I planned on staying with a 3.5 ton but the shops I've had looking around here can't seem to agree on the right size.

I know the York 14-seer is more efficient, I was mainly asking about the reliability of the brand, if it matters much one over the other.

On the hottest days it should run constantly. If it was maintaining temp and running constant, it was working the way it should.

I removed your prices, no prices allowed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

3.5 tons for 2500 sq ft?

Sounds like a bit much for a mild climate - you could probably get by with a smaller unit unless the house is a one story (more roof/ceiling surface area) or has minimal insulation.

The existing system may not be providing 3.5 tons of cooling, especially if the ductwork is marginal.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by ourmoneypit View Post
    The old system worked, but on hotter days it seemed to be running constantly. I don't know if that was because it was too small or due to some other problem. I planned on staying with a 3.5 ton but the shops I've had looking around here can't seem to agree on the right size.

I know the York 14-seer is more efficient, I was mainly asking about the reliability of the brand, if it matters much one over the other.
    If you can get to the ductwork, I would recommend zoning the home. You would have a seperate thermostat for the 2nd floor. You cool or heat half of the house at a time. It's efficient and gives unsurpassed comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    On the hottest days it should run constantly. If it was maintaining temp and running constant, it was working the way it should.

I removed your prices, no prices allowed.
    B.T. You'll get arguements with that statement but it's so true. T

I'd get the highest efficiency with the best warranty. Remember the 13 SEER is the minimum available. As to brand, we don't sell either, so can't say other than we no longer sell Lennox for variety of reasons but did just replace a compressor (for the 2nd time in 8 years) on a Lennox unit just the other day. Common experience and was an higher efficiency system installed very well. Have no idea why it experiences compressor failure, but as I said we no longer sell their brand. York, have had no experience with so can't say, but if pricing is similiar I'd go with the higher efficiency system.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S 2 View Post
    B.T. You'll get arguements with that statement but it's so true. T
    I know, some people worry about that once every 5 or so years 5 to 10 hotter then design heat wave. that last for 2 or 3 days.

JMO:
    Buy a 5,000 BTU window unit and put it in a day or 2 before the heat wave.
    The money you save on the right size system, will more then pay for it. And save you money on the cooling bill.

Just saying.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

you should have load calc performed so you know correct size.
    also there are tax credits for high eff. equipt
    you would have to change furnace to qualify in 99% cases
    have a carrier rep bid Infinity furnace ,ac 1500 tax cr, 1000 manufacture rebate

I know that York has always manufactured a real good a/c system. I have been a dealer for over 30 years and I still have a lot of original units still working out in the field. As long as the system is installed correctly, "the first time" , it cuts down dramatically any un-necessary service calls or issues.
    Good luck with your choice.

Make sure company does load calculation to determine what size unit you need. I like the lennox, but if comparing prices you have to compare same seer units