3 phase semi-herm compressor overload ?
    I do residential air conditioning and have not done much refrigeration work with semi- hermatic compressors. Can some one help me to understand how a three phase compressor w/overload is wired ? A diagram of the windings and overload would help please?

It breaks all 3 legs at once. Get a copy of the Copeland Electrical Handbook from your wholesaler. You'll find some example diagrams in there. You can also call Tecumseh for a copy of their Compressor Service Handbook [free] or download it from the website. http://www.tecumseh.com The phone # is at the website. My 2 cents worth- all techs should have a copy of each of these books.

thank you so much

The Copeland handbook is very useful, but be very careful because there are hundreds of variations on compressor wiring. For a Copeland compressor, the last three positions in the nomenclature tell you what kind of electrical set-up you have.

Most three phase compressors in the US are -TFC for 208/60/3, -TFD for 460/60/3 and -TSK for 208 or 460. The -TFC/TFD have internal line break overloads that require no external wiring. The TSK uses an external electronic overload wired into the control circuit.

Just make sure you are looking at the right diagram in the book and you'll be OK.

alright, I appreciate all of the great information. Is both wiring shcematics in the copeland book on internal and external overload? And is all of the external overloads on semi-hermatic compressors electronic?

The Copeland book covers wiring diagrams for their entire product line. Only larger horsepower Copeland compressors use the electronic module. A lot of the smaller compressors use an external overload that is not electronic. For example, some of the L body 3 phase models have a line break type overload in the control box.

Copeland Handbook

Do they still make the Copeland Electrical Handbook? The one I have is from 1995.

Syd

Quote Originally Posted by emerson climate tech View Post
    The Copeland handbook is very useful, but be very careful because there are hundreds of variations on compressor wiring. For a Copeland compressor, the last three positions in the nomenclature tell you what kind of electrical set-up you have.

Most three phase compressors in the US are -TFC for 208/60/3, -TFD for 460/60/3 and -TSK for 208 or 460. The -TFC/TFD have internal line break overloads that require no external wiring. The TSK uses an external electronic overload wired into the control circuit.

Just make sure you are looking at the right diagram in the book and you'll be OK.
    emerson climate tech,

Check my profile and send me an email.

powell

Up date your Copeland book yearly. They are always making changes.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by Flare Nut View Post
    Do they still make the Copeland Electrical Handbook? The one I have is from 1995.

Syd
    Look on the back for the part number. It will have "6400 R28 Revised 2/07" for the latest version. At least that is the one I have, there could be a newer one. Anyway, that's how you know what version you have.

My book says #6400-R18 Dated 1995