Replacing 28 yr old GE split system

Replacing my original 28 yr old, 3.5 ton system, and have narrowed down selection to two options. Both are 3.5 ton (1650 sq. ft living, South Louisiana), and qualify for the federal tax credit according to the dealers

System 1: Trane XR series unit, with Trane air handler, electric heat. Can't spew off exact model numbers as don't have the paperwork at hand.

System 2: York YCJF42S41S1 14.5 seer unity, coupled with an Aspen A(E,F)M434+TDR Air handler electric heat, which takes the entire system to a 16 seer (I've got the AHRI certificate printed displaying this information).

I'm familiar with Trane, and believe it to be a generally reputable unit. Have heard of York as well but never heard of ASPEN.

QUESTIONS:
    1. Is it common to match a York outdoor condenser unit with another party's indoor air handler/coil unit? Is it advisable? Any downside?
    2. Price: According to the rules I cannot post pricing. This question goes towards the relative quality of the two different systems. The Trane system is substantially more than the York/Aspen system. By going with the Trane, am I paying a premium for a bigger name, or is the substantial difference in price justified by a substantial difference in equipment quality. Any feedback is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tigercajun View Post
    Replacing my original 28 yr old, 3.5 ton system, and have narrowed down selection to two options. Both are 3.5 ton (1650 sq. ft living, South Louisiana), and qualify for the federal tax credit according to the dealers

System 1: Trane XR series unit, with Trane air handler, electric heat. Can't spew off exact model numbers as don't have the paperwork at hand.

System 2: York YCJF42S41S1 14.5 seer unity, coupled with an Aspen A(E,F)M434+TDR Air handler electric heat, which takes the entire system to a 16 seer (I've got the AHRI certificate printed displaying this information).

I'm familiar with Trane, and believe it to be a generally reputable unit. Have heard of York as well but never heard of ASPEN.

QUESTIONS:
    1. Is it common to match a York outdoor condenser unit with another party's indoor air handler/coil unit? Is it advisable? Any downside?
    2. Price: According to the rules I cannot post pricing. This question goes towards the relative quality of the two different systems. The Trane system is substantially more than the York/Aspen system. By going with the Trane, am I paying a premium for a bigger name, or is the substantial difference in price justified by a substantial difference in equipment quality. Any feedback is appreciated.
    It's pretty hard to predict without those model numbers. Too many possible variations.

Any AHRI match is acceptable.

Most here will tell you that it's not so much the equipment as it is the installation. (It drives my Rheem rep nuts when I tell him that..)

Often, although not always. The price difference is in the quality of the install.
    And the service they provide after the install.

Have both contractors list what they are doing.
    How they are transitioning to your duct.
    Are both providing a new thermostat?
    New outdoor pad?
    Secondary drain pan?
    Float/wet switch?
    What is the labor warranty period?
    etc.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would say its partly paying for name, and I would go trane. Depends on the conditions of where you live also.

TigerCajun

those old GE systems were workhorses and top of line in their day.

are you in a harsh coastal location or inland?

I have never liked 3rd party coils/air handlers.

Is the Trane the relatively new XR15 model? if so, a nice system. post mdl numbers of both inside air handler and outside condenser.

IMO
    Good Luck!

The york combination makes me wonder, does york warranty their units with 3rd party coils? My question is because I changed a York warranty compressor (factory matched system) and they wanted to know on the warranty papers what the indoor coil was.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

I don't know much about York, not many out there in my area. Their salesman aren't very good I guess. I do however know of Aspen coils and they are leakers, at least any I've come in contact with. I would go with Trane in a heartbeat and hopefully you'll be getting an aluminum evaporator coil. Don't expect another 28 years out of the new stuff. Those old GE's were bulletproof workhorses. I've never seen a dead compressor on one. People just decide after 20+ years its time for an upgrade.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    The york combination makes me wonder, does york warranty their units with 3rd party coils? My question is because I changed a York warranty compressor (factory matched system) and they wanted to know on the warranty papers what the indoor coil was.
    They warranted my 17 SEER York Affinity DFHP with an Aspen coil to raise the efficiency installed last July.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post

They do on third party coils that their own distributor's sell.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?