Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

2-yr old system needs new compressor/capacitor

Thanks in advance for your advice. I appreciate the pros who take the time to answer questions in this forum.

I previously posted on here that the breaker to my heat pump unit was tripping and had 2 techs come out (the company that installed the unit, and another independent Lennox dealer). They both diagnosed the problem as a grounded compressor and bad capacitor. This system is 2 years old and has been well maintained.

The parts are obviously under warranty, but my question is this: what, other than faulty/bad equipment, would cause the system to go bad? We have had no power surge/failures. Poor/improper installation? Why doesn't Lennox (or the dealer that installed the unit) stand behind the product and cover all the costs of repair/replacement? The auto industry seems to do things right regarding warranty work.

Any insight is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kcpark View Post
    Thanks in advance for your advice. I appreciate the pros who take the time to answer questions in this forum.

I previously posted on here that the breaker to my heat pump unit was tripping and had 2 techs come out (the company that installed the unit, and another independent Lennox dealer). They both diagnosed the problem as a grounded compressor and bad capacitor. This system is 2 years old and has been well maintained.

The parts are obviously under warranty, but my question is this: what, other than faulty/bad equipment, would cause the system to go bad? We have had no power surge/failures. Poor/improper installation? Why doesn't Lennox (or the dealer that installed the unit) stand behind the product and cover all the costs of repair/replacement? The auto industry seems to do things right regarding warranty work.

Our policy is: if a unit, that we install, has a compressor failure in the first five years, we'll replace the condenser not just the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S 2 View Post
    Our policy is: if a unit, that we install, has a compressor failure in the first five years, we'll replace the condenser not just the compressor.
    There are probably a hand full of companies in the country that do that. But the vast majority don't.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

T

When you buy a car. You are buying a finished product from the car maker.

When you buy an HVAC system. Only the equipment id from the manufacturer.

The manufacturer has no control over how it was installed.

While you don't remember any spikes, or brown outs. One could have happened while you were not at home and the system was running.

Does your system have proper air flow.

If you need a compressor, you also need more then just a cap with it.

Your HVAC companies aren't replacing everything they should be.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Why doesn't Lennox (or the dealer that installed the unit) stand behind the product and cover all the costs of repair/replacement? The auto industry seems to do things right regarding warranty work.

Several variables that can cause a compressor to fail at any given time regardless of age.
    Ask the contractor that you choose to repair the unit to do a full evaluation of the system, from electrical to ducting.

In defense of the HVAC industry...The auto industry added the cost of a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty into the base price of the vehicle.
    HVAC extended warranties are available seperatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S 2 View Post
    er whole condensing unit?

Quote Originally Posted by leander311 View Post
    er whole condensing unit?
    Yes, the entire condenser (thingy) outside, not just the compressor.

On new installations we do a 10 year parts and labor warranty, we purchase the extended wwarranty from the manufacture and include it in our quote. 2 year old grounded compressor would suspect something else is wrong with the system that caused the problem. Have a full system check when they get done with the compressor, there are a number of things that could cause a compressor to go to ground.

Bids were to replace the compressor, the capacitor, filter/biflow drier, plug and refill refrig. I would agree on a whole system check, as well.

This is my primary concern/complaint - nobody is willing to step up and accept the responsibility of customer service! Blame the grounded compressor on a bad capacitor...blame the bad capacitor on some "possible" electrical surge...what should matter most is that a manufacturer and the "professional" that installs the unit should stand behind their work. I'm not looking for a free ride here, just a little professionalism and integrity.

I appreciate all your comments, and realize it is hard enough to figure these things out in person much less in a forum like this. I am just looking for a little insight into the industry-standard expectations.

Bids were to replace the compressor, the capacitor, filter/biflow drier, plug and refill refrig. I would agree on a whole system check, as well.

This is my primary concern/complaint - nobody is willing to step up and accept the responsibility of customer service! Blame the grounded compressor on a bad capacitor...blame the bad capacitor on some "possible" electrical surge...what should matter most is that a manufacturer and the "professional" that installs the unit should stand behind their work. I'm not looking for a free ride here, just a little professionalism and integrity.

I appreciate all your comments, and realize it is hard enough to figure these things out in person much less in a forum like this. I am just looking for a little insight into the industry-standard expectations.
    I guess the big difference between hvac and cars is dealers just sell the car-they don't build it. With hvac systems, the manufactuer sells the parts and the installer/contractor builds them into a "system". So now you have 2 cooks in the kitchen and neither one feels they are the one that spoiled the broth. Sometimes it's the manufacturers equipment at fault & sometimes it's the installer/contractors fault, and sometimes you just can't know whose fault it is-don't forget to include your electrical provider into the equation and acts of nature. The solution provided to you may not be perfect for either party, but it's fair-all things considering. Oh yeah, don't forget someone in your home being at fault possibly, by turning on the cooling on a day when it's only 55 degrees outside or something. Who knows.

ALL companies set limits.
    Car mfgrs set THEIR limits (warrenty)
    HVAC mfgrs set their limits.
    INSTALERS set their limits.

Do NOT expect everyone to have or set the SAME limits.

I know of a couple of installation companies arround here the would replace the WHOLE condensing unit within the 5yr period, but they charge twice what the rest charge, for the original install ....
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Often with compressor change outs you don't find the cause of why it failed till after the compressor was replaced. Or while it's being changed. From weighing out refrigerant and comparing the amount removed to what it really should have, to air flow, controls and electrical issues.
    Was the capacitor blown, or just on the weak side?

Were the terms of the warranty specified in the contract?
    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass whoopin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast