Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassajara View Post
    Hey 2 outa 4 isnt that bad if you think about it
    HAHAHAHAHA... There's like 12 or 14 fans on each machine!
    Perspicacity

anyone ever had to replace one of those compressors, looks like it would be the biggest pita !

Quote Originally Posted by ImpellerNut View Post
    Well... it seems you had a premonition Mr. York...

I was venting this morning before I took a service call to this FULL MAINTENANCE customer. This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my short amount of experience, and pretty much takes the cake with this piece of equipment.

THAAAAAT'S RIGHT... TWO FAN MOTORS WITH THE FEET RIPPED RIGHT OFF!!

The only thing that kept it from falling and blasting through the condenser was the goofy "Ultra quiet" fan blades and housings that Carrier uses. It also destroyed the contactor to the fan before the breaker tripped because neither motor had shorted to ground.

I have no less than 3-4 weeks of time into these machines in the last year and a half.
    How did that happen? Did the fan catch edge and rip itself off?

Quote Originally Posted by Slip Stream View Post
    How did that happen? Did the fan catch edge and rip itself off?
    Your guess is as good as mine.

I'm attributing it to vibration because there's no vibration isolation pads underneath the machine. (Laying right on concrete) plus the fact that the fan motor housing is made out of some cheap cast aluminum alloy junk.

The bolts are STILL TIGHT ON THE EARS THAT ARE BROKE OFF.

Anyone else seen this??
    Perspicacity

Your guess is as good as mine.

I'm attributing it to vibration because there's no vibration isolation pads underneath the machine. (Laying right on concrete) plus the fact that the fan motor housing is made out of some cheap cast aluminum alloy junk.

The bolts are STILL TIGHT ON THE EARS THAT ARE BROKE OFF.

Anyone else seen this??
    That really is something... wow. I've never seen it before but then again, I've also never seen an install without isolation pads/springs.

At what capacity is the chiller running at ? Check your run starts and hours and post them? Even fan hours , what fan numbers are they?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    At what capacity is the chiller running at ? Check your run starts and hours and post them? Even fan hours , what fan numbers are they?
    Well, this occurred in the in under 60 degF weather. So single compressor (the smaller one) probably around 50% loaded. So, machine capacity around 20-30%?

I will record fan hours, run starts and post them.

The fans are in the middle of the unit. I will have to check the manual for the fan numbers.

I'll see if I can stop by, and get back with info on Monday.
    Perspicacity

hey, at least the zap screws holding the fan motor mounts didnt pull out. they must be 3/8" industrial zap screws. yup they just dont make stuff like they used to. a real fan blade would have come apart and had you repairing the condenser coil too this saturday.

Well partly you can blame the high cost of raw materials that has cause manufacturers to look for other sources of cheaper and lighter materials. Does it have motor masters on it?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I think you can blame customer ignorance and manufacturers 'race to the bottom'.

2 fans have Sieman's VFD's on them controlled by the Fan boards. These are not the fans that failed.
    Perspicacity

I think you can blame customer ignorance and manufacturers 'race to the bottom'.

2 fans have Sieman's VFD's on them controlled by the Fan boards. These are not the fans that failed.
    Geez how ignorant are your customers? They bought a chiller with GE motors on them . They are pretty dumb.
    UA 100

[QUOTE=Slip Stream;6212702]How did that happen? Did the fan catch edge and rip itself off?[/QUOTE

Is it possible that snow or ice built up on the fans . They look like they started up off ballance some how .

I don't like the idea of using a cast metal casing and mounting lugs on a solid mount. Why reinvent the wheel and change the motor mount-----------Uhmmm Do you have to buy that motor through Carrier?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast