I am an Hvac Contractor, I was very surprised the other night when my wife was finished cooking to have the co detector go off. I pulled out my Bachrach system gave the house the go over and discovered it was my oven puting out 40ppm of co. Is this unusual??, common?? I deal with furnaces and ac units. anyone want to get me up to speed?? thanx "Im appealing to the collective"

Very normal.Sometime they will produce 500-600ppm of co on start-up.The hot burner impinges on room temperature spreader plate,causing high co.It must be reduced to 150ppm air free of co within 15 minutes-AGA says this is ok.Normally they are under 100 ppm in a few minutes,but some arent.I work on lots of appliances,and when I start the gas oven waiting to check the co level,I dont stand over the stove anymore-I figure over a period of years I might become even goofier than I am now.

Remember class, flame impingement means incomplete combustion which gives us what? right.....CO. Not unnormal(is that a word?) for you to get soem around a stove.

Smile thanx

Thanx "don't work on stoves much"!

You bet-that's why we're here.Plenty I dont know.If using a gas stove for extended time periods-ie X-mas or Easter dinner,baking all day-good idea to crack a window.

Ovens CO

Believe it or not ovens are approved for up to 800ppm "air free" CO but this should never be allowed. An oven should not exceed 400ppm when first turned on and should drop to 50ppm or less after 5 minutes. Ovens depend on flame impingement on a spreader plate. While the plate is cold the CO rises. If the flame is adjusted properly these levels can be much lower. The biggest problem on natural gas ovens is that the air shutter on the main burner is partially closed. It should always be wide open and only adjusted on LP. Without a CO meter it is improbable that it can be adjusted correctly.
    captain CO