Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat Pump vs Heat Strip System - TX

Post Likes
    CB57...howdy. I see you have received quite a bit of activity from your question. I have owned heat-pumps for most of my life. They do a good job in most areas. I do not think you can beat their cost savings versus straight strip-heating. Maybe someone has data to prove me wrong, but until then I would go for the heat-pump. I myself am partial to Trane products, but that is my choice and does not mean there are not other good vendors available.

Good luck...!

Post Likes
    Thank you all very much..

Post Likes
    Houston climate does get allot of really cold weather, so back up electric heat strips on a variable drive air handler would do you a great job.

Heat Pump-14.0
    Variable drive -air handler
    15kw strip package
    digital thermostat
    4-5" pleated filter system
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Heat pump will save you money.How much it saves you depends on climate where you are at. The salesman should be able to compare operating cost of each and help you make your decision.

Post Likes
    An update:
    I need some more advice..
    I did go ahead and buy the 3T RUUD unit last year as guided. It has worked very well and I got the tax credit too.
    A/C worked well last summer however this past winter we had a reasonably cold February here in Houston. The HP did have to “work” long cycles to get the area somewhat warm. I am concerned about the unit having to really work long cycles and produce not really warm air. Is was running a lot - to warm the space.. The performance seemed to be much better when the temperature went to 40F during the day when the units would kick on. During the coldest part of the snap it struggled to get adequate heat into the space. The last heat strip units ran 25 years and did a good job – however much more expensively. Going forward I am trying be as efficient as I can be…
    I have a second unit to replace..I nursed that old 2nd Lennox HS unit thru this past year and don’t believe it will last at all this season. I recognize that I have another unit to buy and the HP did save $$ on the heat and A/C side this year…. Markedly.. Besides Texas still has funds left for rebates on efficient units. Want to get that B 4 it runs out. So I need to act…

Since I am all electric (NO Natural Gas), I am looking for another unit at 2.5T for this other side of the home. Manual J says 2.5T is needed. The rooms in this living area are the sleeping quarters, bathrooms, master BR and showers along with the den. I need to make sure that the heating aspect will provide more heat than what I experienced with the 3T heat pump in the main room this past winter.. . I need to feel warm in the winter in this other space since there is a risk of catching cold / other by stepping out of the shower.… if the heat is not present in qty. … AND another consideration - when we get up to go to work its usually in the early AM – when the temps are most likely to be at the lowest part of the day and the HP will probably be the least efficient – that is when the heat is needed. I need to address this aspect in the choice I make today..

Contractor who did the last install did a good job.. I have no issue on getting another RUUD and using him

He is quoting another RUUD 2.5T HP similar setup as last years 3T

HP UPQL-030JEZ
    AH RHKL-HM3617JA
    7.5KW HS
    15.5 SEER / 13 EER
    New supply and return Plenums
    5” Pleated Filter System
    New Copper Lineset ¾”
    Crane for roof Top Mounting
    Fully installed to code

If I look at the RUUD website, the unit is not rated outright as an energy credit qualifying type unit. In addition the warranty that is published on that unit is only 5 years and the warranty on the other "upper level" units is 10years. The old units I had were HS Lennox units that lasted 25 years. I want to make a wise investment so the unit I will buy is a solid sturdy unit that can last a very long stretch.. 5 yr stated warranty seems light to me..

Can you give me some insight on the unit quoted above ..and some suggestions on what other Ruud units might be “A Step Up” and sturdier – and a “value”. Manufacturers update lines all the time. Maybe further improvements were made on some Ruud units ..AND - Maybe he is quoting a good solid workhorse unit and that’s fine.. A good solid unit is what I want …..
    Questions

Should I increase HS capacity? ... to what level?
    Also can the other unit be retrofitted w additional heat capacity?
    Vertical Vs Horizontal
    Can I get AHRI Data will be a great help on your additional model suggestions?

Thank you in advance..

Post Likes
    Ask your house to stop losing heat, the your heat pump doesn't have to replace that heat.

The amount your unit runs doesn't change the heat being lost by your house. The disconnect is your perspective, not the unit. Do you think you want a unit that doesn't run much, or a unit that runs all the time?

If you wanted 50 watts of light at night, would you buy a 100 watt light bulb and turn it on for 10 minutes and off for 10 minutes, or would you buy a 50 watt bulb and leave it on all the time?

Any wonder why people have such problems with equipment being over sized? They're unhappy when it's properly sized.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure where people got the idea that equipment is best operated intermittently.

That being said, oversizing a HP a little bit (0.5 ton) can reduce heatstrip use so it might be worth while.

Post Likes
    I vote for heat pump, with variable speed.
    being in a similar climate heat pumps have been my recommendation
    to my clients.
    within 2 to 3 years the winter savings over electric strip pays for
    the hp upcharge over a/c with electric strip.
    electric strip is THE MOST EXPENSIVE way to heat your home.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Still looking for some feedback on the unit specs. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in