+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporlan TX Valves Never Fail!!! .....

Post Likes
    But when one quits working properly ... there are several reasons why this is happening.

One is a pluged screen.
    Sometimes this occurs when an idiot replaces a compressor on a system which uses mineral oil and the new unit if filled with POE. This is something that happens in some of the markets I help take care of.

We are on 22 and the new units are all filled with POE. So we drain the oil and fill em back up with Mineral before installing them.

But whenever someone does NOT change that oil ... we have hell to pay.

Another reason a valve fails to function ios when some guy comes along and turns the adjustment screw until it meets the stop .... THEN KEEPS ON TURNING!

Then as Dave said in another thread, the valves fail to function when the power head loses it's charge. So the power head, in many cases, can be replaced and the valve returned to normal service.

Anyone have anything to add to this assortment of observations?

Post Likes
    If you keep them clean, and don't break them, they work fine. FOREVER.

If you guys would bite the bullet for a couple weeks, and leave the POE in, your systems would be as clean as a whistle inside.

So tell me, can you sleep in a compressor room????

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I was going to say I have never drained the POE from r-22 system compressors when i change them!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    I was going to say I have never drained the POE from r-22 system compressors when i change them!
    If it's a good customer that trusts my judgement, I'll run POE in any rack that needs cleaning, as part of a good maintenance program.

Once I see that the crap has come out, I switch it to alkylbenzene on a 22, and Mineral on LT22.

Everything else gets Aunt Polly's greasing formulae...

Actually running POE in a LT22 rack for 2 years now, with absolutely zero oil problems. Was gonna convert to 404a, but the customer changed their mind when funds ran short.

Of course, I run the suction header at 20 degrees SH on the dot, and the head stays between 140-160 psi...

A little POE doesn't hurt a thing...

Post Likes
    TXV's, one of the most reliable and yet misunderstood part of a refrigeration system. Just to sharpen up what are the 3 forces that operate a txv, and what is the function of the external equalizer and when is it used. If you really know, hold back and let the others take a stab at these questions.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by R12rules
    Anyone have anything to add to this assortment of observations?
    Using too large a hammer...

Post Likes
    POE shouldn't be a problem with R22, but I can imagine a dirty system might complicate things. A few years ago we were shipping MO, AB and POE, and the decision to ship replacement Copeland compressors with POE was based on 1) the wholesalers' desire to reduce inventory and 2) the fact that POE was compatible with HFCs and HCFs. An existing R12 system would require an oil change, but everything else should be OK.

Post Likes

Question sporlan>> txv's

if your power-head loose its charge, why not change the entire valve??? How much $$$ are you saving by changing the power-head?? both suppliers in my area only stock the complete txv.

Post Likes

Re: sporlan>> txv's

Originally posted by uncle buck
    if your power-head loose its charge, why not change the entire valve??? How much $$$ are you saving by changing the power-head?? both suppliers in my area only stock the complete txv.
    A good parts house will order and stock whatever your little ol heart desires!

Post Likes
    Uncle i see it this way. I can pump down and isolte a circut, change a power head (on the fly at 1 to 5 psig)in say 15 mins even on a rack. I can pump down to 0 psig and recover to 10 hg so i wpnt get gased while sweating a new valve in then evacuate system. I think i would save the customer 200 to $300.00 by doing a powerhead on the fly and thats almost (99%)always what is wrong. You should get some 43 and 53 sporlan power heads and keep them on your truck if you do much refrigeration. You are doing the customer right!

Post Likes
    Like, King said, Power elements are easier to replace. Much less labor intensive, and the case is back up a lot faster. They're also cheap.

The savings in the potential product and sales loss alone should be a strong motivator to fix the problem, and not just change parts.

Never heard of a supply house not stocking power elements.

I'm thinking it's about 400 bucks less to do a head than a sweat valve, and probably about 200 less than a flare.

[Edited by condenseddave on 05-04-2004 at 11:06 PM]

Post Likes
    Since we are talking about helping the customer here let me ask this. When a non-adjustable txv starts overfeeding on a Hussman Impact case, do you replace the valve or install a stem kit?

Post Likes
    Freezeking2000 Uncle i see it this way. I can pump down and isolte a circut, change a power head (on the fly at 1 to 5 psig)in say 15 mins even on a rack. I can pump down to 0 psig and recover to 10 hg so i wpnt get gased while sweating a new valve in then evacuate system. I think i would save the customer 200 to $300.00 by doing a powerhead on the fly and thats almost (99%)always what is wrong. You should get some 43 and 53 sporlan power heads and keep them on your truck if you do much refrigeration. You are doing the customer right!

This is what I was meaning to say on a last post, hope this one does not bite me in the @ss...............

Post Likes
    Guess we've always just replaced the valve when it comes to impact cases flooding, never gave much thought to the stem kit. Have to check with the local wholesalers and see if they are stocking them. I believe those valves are OEM are the stem kits or are they the same as other sporlan valves? We always refer to the Hussmann valve replacement chart that shows suitable adjustable replacement.
    Had an entire lineup of LWU's that were flooding on startup when Impact first came out, Hussmann airmailed the stem kits to install on every valve, since then only seen the occassional impact valve do the same.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Post Likes
    Hussman philosophy; lets use the worse valve we can, and then put three in every case.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mccool
    I believe those valves are OEM are the stem kits or are they the same as other sporlan valves?
    The Sporlan BI-series TEV used on the Hussmann impact cases use a KA-I/BI bottom adjustment kit.

Post Likes
    I only saw that problem for awhile about four years ago, or so, then it stopped.

Changing the valve guts always corrected it. That and tightening the stinking BULBS.

Were the valves redesigned, or was the application corrected, or something, Andy?

Post Likes
    I think the cause was the valves getting everheated on install causing the spring to squish ....................thats what i have found with them.

Post Likes
    I PERSONALLY changed 350 of those damn valves..made OT 2 or 3 nights a week for monthes.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Andy Schoen
    Originally posted by mccool
    I believe those valves are OEM are the stem kits or are they the same as other sporlan valves?
    The Sporlan BI-series TEV used on the Hussmann impact cases use a KA-I/BI bottom adjustment kit.
    Guess I'll have to get some of them. Thx.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in