Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by R12rules
    Originally posted by condenseddave
    When you speak of EPRs, Bob, are you talking about plain old ORITS, with no pilot solenoid on them???
    Dave, I just dug up my Sporlan catalog. It shows a picture of my valves listing under (S)ORIT. PAGE 48 OF CATALOG #201.
    There IS a solenoid on them.

Thanks.
    Then don't cycle them electrically, except for defrosts, and as a low end temperature safety.

Set them up to maintain a minimum evaporator pressure, which will correspond to the lowest desired case temp, then set the "low limit", which will shut the valve off, a couple of degrees below that temp.

The biggest chain we have in Ct cycles the Sorit valves on temp even on hot gas defrost racks in older stores with Comtrol......this blows. Often time the 15 door frozen food case goes into defrost and the entire rack shuts off on LP since maybe only one other system was calling when hot gas was initiated. I have tried to no end to allow me to set the EPRs for temp and use the comtrol for defrost only, but they will not change it. All i know is we get major$$$$ to constantly de-ice frozen food.

Originally posted by Freezeking2000
    The biggest chain we have in Ct cycles the Sorit valves on temp even on hot gas defrost racks in older stores with Comtrol......this blows. Often time the 15 door frozen food case goes into defrost and the entire rack shuts off on LP since maybe only one other system was calling when hot gas was initiated. I have tried to no end to allow me to set the EPRs for temp and use the comtrol for defrost only, but they will not change it. All i know is we get major$$$$ to constantly de-ice frozen food.
    Not to mention the:
    • Excessive energy consumption.
    • The cost of KS-ORI kits.
    • The cost of repairing the leaking valves.
    • The cost of the valve plates from the horrendous slugging.
    • All the other problems that result from excessive har-headedness amongst the individuals that make the decisions...

But, they're not only making the decisions, they're paying the bills...

I need to clarify. You got EPRS with the solenoid pilot that suction stop, and you got these suction stopping on case temp?

Thats so incorrect it aint funny. An EPR is designed to throttle and only warranted to suction stop during defrost.

Whats the sense in having the epr if you aint going to let it run? For that matter put all LLS in and bang it on and off based on case temp. And then let the rack slug.

How can you possibly control suction manifold from not flooding? I mean I can just off the top of my brain think of ten reasons why this is a bad idea.

I have a rack that is set up where I have 25 coils each with a LLS. Dave this is the one that was giving me fits I wrote you about. The rack would start and stop, cycles up the ying yang. The solenoids all on and off, fighting. Pressures up and down. What a mess it was. I had oil return problems, condenser capacity problems. In fact there were so many problems it was difficult to pick a spot to start with to get it going right. I fought that thing for 2 months. On a rack it goes back to one thing. A rack has got to run. It's meant to run. I buried my setpoints so no solenoids turn off. I first found my design TD by hit and miss and found 12 degree TD. Set my suction on manifold for that. Picked a controlling fixture and built in a 5 opound float. Built my own staging matrix and had to add three unloaders to 3 different pumps. Freek drove the fan on the evaporative condenser and kept water forced on at 50 degree ambient or above. Went through each coil for superheat and cleaned a ton of screens. Dropped the separator float out and rebuilt that. New regs on every pump.

I know this is long but. The main thing that helped this system out was I got it to run and stay running. I manipulated horsepower for a more true load match. But none the less the rack stays running. A rack must run. Any system I have ever seen horked up and failures has been primarily where they want to cycle pumps too much. You got to let a rack run. For oil, for even load, for temp integrity, for yes I am saying it ENERGY SAVINGS. You got to let a rack run.

I could not agree with you more
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

[QUOTE][i]The biggest chain we have in Ct cycles the Sorit valves on temp even on hot gas defrost racks in older stores with Comtrol......this blows. Often time the 15 door frozen food case goes into defrost and the entire rack shuts off on LP since maybe only one other system was calling when hot gas was initiated. I have tried to no end to allow me to set the EPRs for temp and use the comtrol for defrost only, but they will not change it. All i know is we get major$$$$ to constantly de-ice frozen food.

If you have a frozen rack with SORIT valves, the coldest cases should be set to the minimum so they are wide open. The rack should be set to maintain what ever suction you need to hold the coldest cases. The rest of the sorit valves should be set to maintain suction to hold those fixtures at temp. Do not cycle the SORIT valves on temperature. The differance between the suction pressure and the discharge pressure that closes the valve will eventually drive the piston into the seat and one day the vavle will not open when it is asked to. Saw this for many years on Tyler racks. SORIT's should only cycle for defrost. Otherwise use a suction stop solenoid. It is made to cycle repeatedly and is somewhat cheaper than the SORIT. By cycling valves you are causing the rack suction to swing all over the place, and probable costing the owner lots of $$$$ for power surge rate hikes.Commercial users pay useage times demand factor. Less compressor cycling reduces demand factor

in a perfect world, but this is Ahold-Stop and shop stores and thay are really anal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12