Thread: Compressor Replacement

Post Likes

Compressor Replacement

p

Post Likes
    Do you do this for a living? I will assume not. If you did, then you would know the answers to these questions. If you do and are an installer or some other capacity in the hvac field. It's best to get somebody you work with to assist you. If you are not. I'm surprised that Trane would sell a homeowner a compressor. Good luck.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickelder View Post
    I have a Trane XE1000 about ten years old with a locked up compressor. I have bought a new compressor from Trane and am going to install myself. I am assuming this is a burn-out. There is a factory installed dryer in the liquid line at the compressor,should i replace it? Install one in the suction as well, or just leave the existing dryer and add one in the suction line and where?
    This is not a DIY site.

Do yourself a favor and hire a licensed contractor to install it for you, otherwise you will end up replacing this new compressor.

Post Likes
    IF it's a burn-out you'll have to do a little more then just replace the compressor and filter drier. How you know the compressor is bad did you check the windings. It could be something as simple as a $20 dollar part. Call a Tech.

Post Likes
    Compressor was pulling LR amps and tripping breaker.

Post Likes
    I have a Trane XE1000 about ten years old with a locked up compressor. I have bought a new compressor from Trane and am going to install myself. I am assuming this is a burn-out. There is a factory installed dryer in the liquid line at the compressor,should i replace it? Install one in the suction as well, or just leave the existing dryer and add one in the suction line and where?
    There's a show on HGTV called: "In Way Over My Head", I think yours will be the next episode. If you're assuming(we all know what happens when one assumes) then you probably don't know why it failed. Determining why it failed is step 1 in compressor replacement, to prevent it from happening again. If you aren't sure on what driers to use, then this really isn't a project you should be doing. Do you have the proper tools & equipment needed to do this? This is a project best left to the professionals. I still can't believe Trane would sell an HO a compressor?? You should also know that if you go ahead with your plan to do the compressor changeout yourself, there is going to be NO WARRANTY on that compressor when it fails again(and it will fail again). Do yourself a favor, save yourself some money in the long run and call a professional.

Post Likes
    Compressor was pulling LR amps and tripping breaker.
    That still doesn't mean the compressor was bad. There are more steps to verify than that.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    That still doesn't mean the compressor was bad. There are more steps to verify than that.
    That's a good point, but I think he's past that now that he's already bought a new compressor. My favorite calls in the winter(happens more in heating than cooling season) is when the furnace won't run & the HO says the thermostat is bad & it won't run the furnace. Imagine how much money we'd make if we just replace the thermostat because the HO thought it was bad, then clean the flame sensor or fix any other problem with the furnace to get the heat going. I always laugh when I see the "Furnace NOP, thinks it's the thermostat" call. In the summer it's always "I think the compressor is shot". It couldn't be a contactor or capacitor, could it?!

Post Likes
    Compressor was pulling 90+ amps. Checked capacitor and it was good. Put on a hard start kit and compressor made a slight "gurgle" but still tripped breaker. And yes I checked to make sure the breaker was good too. Sound like a locked-up compressor now or should I check something else?

Post Likes
    You should have called me. I clearly see a service tech driving towards your home in the future.

Post Likes
    I would love to put on a warranty label
    Reason for failure “Gurgle Sound”

Do you have:
    Oil Test Kit
    Recovery Machine and Tanks (Required by US EPA regulations)
    Torch
    Brazing Rod (15%)
    Sil-Floss (35-55%)
    Nitrogen tank with low pressure regulator
    Vacuum Pump
    Micron Gauge
    Liquid Line Drier
    Suction Filter (if burnout)
    Refrigerant
    Refrigerant Scale
    Temperature Probes
    Amp Probe
    Brains and experience
    And I’m sure several other things.

Take that compressor back before someone gets hurt!

Post Likes
    Add EPA certification to that list.

My first time changing out a compressor solo I was on pins and needles, and I had watched my HVAC mentor do it several times. Even so I got the wiring wrong...fortunately figured it out before I did any damage. Even then I wasn't as diligent about things as I am now, such as using a micron meter to measure vacuum, flowing nitrogen during brazing, flushing the line set if there was a burnout, and, oh yeah, FIGURING OUT WHY THE ORIGINAL COMPRESSOR DIED!!
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    should I check something else?
    I would try checking the yellow pages under Air Conditioning Service to find a service tech to come finish your job before you make any more mistakes you'll regret.

Post Likes
    You forgot to put ur manifold gauges on there....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDH View Post
    You forgot to put ur manifold gauges on there....
    "I got a bike tire gauge, will that work?"
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    FIGURING OUT WHY THE ORIGINAL COMPRESSOR DIED!!
    I knew I forgot something. Thanks Shophound

Post Likes

There's an old saying, "penny wise and pound foolish."

Do yourself a favor call a pro.

The compressor being bad is not the problem, its the symptom of your

trouble.

Ignore it and you will have another bad compressor in short order.
    Waddya mean don't thaw out the frig with a knive?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in