compressor problems

compressor problems

I just replace a compressor on a fridgiare refrigerator, I was only able to charge it with 5.5oz of R134A. my compressoris over heating and it wonIt take any more refrigerant. I work on Comercial HVAC not refrigeration. I'm only doing it to help my mom get her refrigerator running again. Need help

How many oz does the label say?
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Quote Originally Posted by jpetriz View Post
    I just replace a compressor on a fridgiare refrigerator, I was only able to charge it with 5.5oz of R134A. my compressoris over heating and it wonIt take any more refrigerant. I work on Comercial HVAC not refrigeration. I'm only doing it to help my mom get her refrigerator running again. Need help
    How much refrigerant does the unit require?
    Compressors do feel hot to the touch, what makes you "think" its overheating?

Most New frigerators have "Delays." Make sure you give it 45 min's on the number 5 temp, the delay is in that Tstat, It could take it a while to come on even if you get it right.

You replaced a compressor, probably due to a dirty metering device? Perhaps you should find the metering device and replace it to since this could be the cause of the restriction,, The Guts of the OLD compressor could have jamed the metering device.

Tell me you added a filter!!!!!!!!

See a Tech! Good luck.

Atlantis is right. Anytime we change compressor, change filter and prove meter is open. A touch of acid away is never a bad thing, and then bodda bing.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

it takes 1lb 2 oz. I did install a dryer, compressor runs at 2.5 amps and its rated for 5amps. I'm going to let it run for 45 on the number 5 temp and see what it does.

Thanks, if anyone needs help with Liebert units let me know.

What's the model # ? Was the frig in a vacuum when you charged it?

Charge low side with compressor running to get full charge.
    Good that filter drier was replaced.
    Metering device is propably a cap tube brazed to the suction line for heat exchange which is inside the insulated wall. If restricted, acid away, blow out with nitogen, then throw away.
    Get full charge and check superheat/subcool.

Low charge would cause high discharge gas temps and a hot compressor.
    Last edited by Robert77; 03-17-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: add

Jeeze, buy the woman a fridge........ appliances are disposable, by design. I'm just sayin......... That other compressor didnt just "GO" out.... you know that.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Jeeze, buy the woman a fridge........ appliances are disposable, by design. I'm just sayin......... That other compressor didnt just "GO" out.... you know that.
    Easy there hotrod It could be that he's wanting to further his education. "Undecided."

Why are you fixing this, lets go from there...

Quote Originally Posted by jpetriz View Post
    it takes 1lb 2 oz. I did install a dryer, compressor runs at 2.5 amps and its rated for 5amps. I'm going to let it run for 45 on the number 5 temp and see what it does.

Thanks, if anyone needs help with Liebert units let me know.
    Assuming that you pulled a good vacuum and have installed access valves on both suction and discharge....what are your pressure readings? Superheat?