Thread: Local Beef

Local Beef

I put a cooler in for a local farmer who was opening his own store on his farm. Anyway, after all was said and done - I decided to buy a quarter beef off him. It was hung for three weeks and was organic. Holy crap, what a difference than from the grocery store. I am lovin' it. I paid three bucks a pound but he threw in a lot of bone and shank for tomato sauce that I mass produce.
    Does anyone else buy their beef or meat like this?

Never done the Organic thing, but for 5 years now I have been buying 1/2 show steers and 1/2 show pigs from local kids at the county fair and they are butchered at a meat plant I take care of. I really appreciate the difference in taste, helps out the local kids and supports on of my clients. Win-win-win. I think it usually runs about $2.25/lb for the beef and just over $1.25/lb for pork vacuum packed.

Yep, buy 1/4 beef and 1/2 a hog every year off a local farmer good stuff.

Nothing better than local grain fed beef. We raise a couple hogs every two two years and sell off one to pay for ours. We have a Mennonite butcher / processor real close. There is no comparison between super market pork and the real thing.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

You inspired me to buy a hog. We have Mennonite friends that raise some - that's the next step. I like pork but I eat far more beef, fish and chicken. If it's in the freezer I'll eat it.