Smelt...how do u like yours?

grocery had fresh ones in..nice size aprox. 5-7 inch. I usually bread them with simple flour, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and ether bake or deep fry.

I am sure my neighbors to the north in Michigan have some good ways i have not tried.

How else would you cook them?
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

That's the only way I've had them as well - minus the paprika - I'll try that. I love them.

Smelt ????... youse guys eat bait??? icky.

They are good...mom used to make them and I eated them...bonez and all!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Smoke em,,,,,light brine for about three hours. In the smoker for about three pans of chips,,,,6 hours. Try to let em cool before you start eating. Probly will be gone before they cool. Guts feathers, bones and all.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Breaded and fried, bones, tail and all. No sauces, nothing. Grandma use to make mac n cheese with'em. Man, I haven't had breaded smelt in a long time, sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    Probably will be gone before they cool. Guts feathers, bones and all.
    Feathers?

Flying smelts?

what kinda smelt you eating

Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    Smoke em,,,,,light brine for about three hours. In the smoker for about three pans of chips,,,,6 hours. Try to let em cool before you start eating. Probly will be gone before they cool. Guts feathers, bones and all.
    they will be running here early this year usually after ice out in april (last 2 weeks) I think the ice is leaving real early this year this weekend will be my last for whitefish and rainbow through the ice.. cheers
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Smelt ????... youse guys eat bait??? icky.
    went to a gourmet french restuarant in the napa valley and i asked for the seafood special. they bring me a plate of smelt with eyes in staring at me with the death mask and heads/ tails still on, and a gourmet mustard sauce. i asked the waiter for the fishig pole so i could catch a real fish with the bait he brought me. some rich people will even eat raw fish but with a couple of bottles of wine in you, it's all good