Residential service tech / installer for hire in orlando area

Just moved to the area and cant seem to find a job. I get the "overqualified" excuse alot. Anybody looking for a good tech? Maybe it's to early in the year?

Erik LaPlante
    2390 Topaz Trail
    Kissimmee, FL 34743
    Erik@Laplanteac.com
    Tel: 850-260-2159

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OBJECTIVE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I want to utilize my skills as an excellent residential service tech and installer and work for a company I can learn and grow with preferably doing everything from service to installation. I would also like to learn commercial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1/2003 - Present
    LaPlante Air Conditioning Panama City, FL

Co-owner, Installer, Service Tech
    In this position I did everything including being the initial customer contact, diagnosing electrical and refrigerant problems, repairing and replacing residential systems, quotes, bids, billing, and entering invoices to quickbooks. I worked on a wide range of brands and sizes from window units and ptac's to 5 ton R22 and R410a straight cool, air to air and water to air heat pumps, packaged units, and gas furnaces. I also have a little experience in training new techs.

5/2002 - 10/2002
    Stevens Heating and Air Conditioning Panama City , FL

Duct installer helper / AC installer helper
    In this position I was a helper for a small residential service company. I helped in performing rough ins and trim outs for new construction residential homes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    EDUCATION
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hvac Technician - Haney Technical Center, Panama City, FL
    EPA universal certification
    R410a certified

~~~~~~~~~~
    SKILLS
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Extensive knowledge and experience diagnosing electrical and refrigerant problems
    Can perform service and installation on R22 and R410a systems
    Installed about 700 condensing units
    Installed about 400 air handlers
    Performed around 4,500 residential service calls
    Air to air and water to air heat pump knowledge

If you hear that you're "overqualified" a lot, that is code for "We think you'll want too much money or get bored too quickly"

What I'd like to know is how you go directly from painting on duct sealant for 5 months to running a service company?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Maybe I should dumb down my resume. Although, I thought it was already dumbed down

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    If you hear that you're "overqualified" a lot, that is code for "We think you'll want too much money or get bored too quickly"

What I'd like to know is how you go directly from painting on duct sealant for 5 months to running a service company?
    Haha. Well my dad was the original owner he started it in 1974. When I started working with him I didnt immediately become co-owner. He transfered 50% to me about 3 years ago when I started getting good.

Erik,

Just a word of advice (sorry we aren't hiring and if we were we wouldn't hire you . . . read on that's really a compliment with some advice that might help you).

We own a small biz, one-man shop. We do primarily commercial, which you want to learn (a good thing). But we would never hire you. Why? You stayed with one company (not as an owner) for something like 5 months. Then you worked, self-employed, for several years, and your Dad owns his own shop. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you want to be your own boss, which is a good thing (that's what we want, too). But I would remove all indications that you want to be self-employed, or have been self-employed, from your resume. We would only want to hire someone who we believe for whatever reason would prefer not to have the hassles of running a business and is more comfortable letting someone else handle those details in exchange for a paycheck.

We aren't busy enough to hire regular work anyway right now, so you haven't lost anything with us. We had one big job where we hired some subs . . . those things come up from time to time. But really our first question when we have talked about hiring in the past is: will this person try to steal our customers in the future? Next question is experience, competence, etc. Someone who wants his own shop wouldn't make it past the first hurdle.

Good luck with your job hunting! I think you should just stick your neck out and open up your own shop--cause that's obviously what you want.

Tina

Tina,

Thanks for the reply. I can understand now why I cant seem to find a job and now that I think about it I wouldnt want to hire someone like that either. I originally thought it would be a big plus on my resume that I ran a business for 8 years since I know what goes on on the inside of a business and know to be conservative with materials to save money and all that but anyway the decision was made about 2 weeks ago i'm going to go ahead and open a branch of my dads business in orlando in June just in time for summer. Now the hard part.... getting some customers Well guess ill see you at the supply house someday