Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay rate

Exclamation

Maybe I am wrong but the test in N.C. for refrigeration license is 6 1/2 hours. It is a difficult test, but the pay in this area is pitiful. I have 5 yrs experience and most companies say they will hire me, but for 14-15 dollars per hour. Does the HVAC side pay more than the Refrigeration side?

here in KY......

i guess so,cause i make abit more than that and i dont do any refrigeration....good luck

go to chicago area and good techs are earning 25-35 per hour.

Thank you very much. All I can figure is that people are wanted in the refrigeration side, but the money is not there. They don't seem to trust anyone, they want to hire you low at first then they claim they will raise the salary. I don't seem to understand why? What is the logic to that?

Simple

The logic to that is that everyone who manages to pass a simple CFC handlers certification thinks they are service techs. hiring at a low rate gives the employer a week or two to determine if the service tech he just hire can even find the TXV much less replace it.
    It is completely exceptable for employers to give you a SHORT trial period.
    The bottom line is if you start at 20.00 hr you had better be bringing in more then 60.00 hr and keeping call-backs to a minimum.
    If you can do that in your first 2 weeks you should have no trouble making an employer feel he/she has made the right decision hiring you and give you the money you deserve. If you think the employer is just looking for something for nothing then ask if your pay increase can be retroactive once you finish the trial.
    A woman has the last word in any argument
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

just got a job in charlotte, nc i have only residential experience, all the residential places that offered me something was for at least a bit more than what you posted. the commercial places, although no real offers where going to pay less, but i have no commercial experience, and i have no clue as to refrigeration rates.

pioneer, i like that idea about retro pay when you prove yourself.

For the time being I cannot take a pay cut in order to satisfy someone that what I tell them is the truth. If they do not trust me, hw do they expect me to trust them. I know what you are going to say, but, in the probationary period, if they are not happy with my productivity they have the right to let me go, with or without notice.

Wink

In NC, which is a right to work state, They can let you go at anytime probation period or not. You can go to Labor board
    but employers can find ways to make their claim stick. Best bet here is go w/ bigger more established contractors.
    And as for retroactive pay increase,GOOD LUCK. Ive never heard of anyone getting that kind of deal. Employment at will is in the fine print of every appliation you fill out here.

They always say talk is cheap ,show me.Then we will move your pay up.But guess what, that day never happens and we all know it.There will always be a reason not to,or worse they will tell you they never said that.

Bottom line get what you want to start or you'll never get it.Start the guy at what he deserves and if he cant produce get rid of him.

Companies that offer that usally are always looking for techs, I wonder why?

I have worked in nc there is alot of work there but the good pay is hard to find but you can do it..

Spidy perhaps there is a reason

Other then a giant conspiracy that you have never seen the pay increase that you were offered if you were the man they were looking for. Could it be that you are one of those super techs in the interview that misdiagnose 15 work orders in the first week?
    Not to say that you are anything less then knowledgeable, but there are hundreds of people out there that represent themselves as a "super Tech." and when it comes down to profitability fall way short.
    Hiring a tech. at $20.00 and then having to fire him in two weeks is a waste of my time, I would have no problems hiring a Tech for 17.00 hr for a two week trial and making the three dollars per hour retroactive if they are the super Tech. they say they are. That allows for the option of keeping them on at a more realistic rate if they prove to be an average Tech.
    A woman has the last word in any argument
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

See, I am just looking at it from the other side,the potential employee side.You can look at it this way,if a true "super tech" came through and knew he was worth xx dollars and you offered less,He may feel he is getting low-balled and turn it down and you lost a great tech?Besides when someone claims to no everything they usaly know nothing.

Could it be that you are one of those owners that only cares about profit?See ,there I go, I labeled you unfairly I am sorry.

[Edited by Spidy on 05-16-2004 at 11:50 PM]

I happened to hire a super tech 6 months ago, he wanted 20, I offerred him 18 for 30 days, if he could do what he said I would make it retro, after 15 days I called him in and gave him 22, plus a bonus. I haven't had the priveledge to work with his talent and attitude in years. Now if I could find one more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast