Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by NedFlanders

Originally posted by Freezeking2000 I am getting out and not going to do supermarket work anymore after next Tues as I have gotten another offer for something better for a 44 yr old tech.

that's great...someday I will follow in your footsteps....I swear,after I pay off the new truck,and the new trailer I want to get,and my house gets remodeled,and I got 100,000 in the bank.

I know guys that leave, then they for some cooky reason . They miss all this midnight drama...it's like a disease...a crazy disease.Or maybe it's just the $$$

[/B]
    I was told top pay here at this outfit is like 22 an hour. Is that about right for this area?

I was told top pay here at this outfit is like 22 an hour. Is that about right for this area? [/B]
    You'd have to check around...I know Texas has different costs of living and pay scales then where I'm at in So. Cal.

bryan l Guest
    Oh the doors being left open and product in the air stream is a piss off to EVERY supermarket guy (or gal). Its a never ending fight. And it does not matter how much you tell them they dont learn. EVER!!! But it gives us work so it cannot be all that bad

Supermarket work seperates the men from the boys in my opinion. Im not saying anything about inteligence (there are allot of stupid fridge guys as well as every other aspect) but its the pressure and the requirement to make a solid well thought out, educated call on problems in a short period of time (usually) and there is usually quite a bit of $ in product on the line if you screw it up. Im glad you enjoy it, now the best thing you can do is learn as much as possable on how NOT to get the 2am call backs that wake your co-worker up for something stupid you forgot to look at, do, or not do.

Freezeking Just curious where your going? I also live in CT. I gotta hand it to you supermarket guys there isnt much that could get my sorry a$5 out of bed in the middle of the night.

Taylortech I dont know how long you have been at taylor, but i used to know some of the guys there when you sold scottsman ice equip. I am going to a small Refrigeration Service Co. in Danbury Ct called Berkshire Refrigeration Service co. and i can say i will miss the big racks and such, but i will not miss the demands put on me in the supermarket world. How is Taylor to work for? is the pay good?

Been there about 10 yrs. Im making 27hr but the medical bites. Plenty of O.T. I like the fact that they just give me my calls , go in once a week and pick up parts and if the calls get done nobody says boo to me. Good luck with the new gig. ( I sure do miss those ice machines, never understood why they dropped scottsman)

R12,

I was the same way. I have always liked supermarket work. I just enjoy the rush, at 2 am, you walk in and make it happen.

I am not an old guy, but so far in all my experiences in this trade as a service tech and to a lesser degree a contractor, I have done bigger hvac, small hvac, light refrigeration and supermarkets. Rack work is just something that some guys dig and dig their whole life.

And if you dig refrigeration and dig grocery rack work, there is always plenty of opportunity to make good money. One year I did like 97 grand take home. It was awesome.

When I first went on my own, you can not imagine how tough it really was. I'd go in to look at a small walk in say at a resturaunt and I would charge the going rate and was there for like two hours. I would write the bill and see what the amounts were and I would be like. "how the hell am I ever going to make it".

In grocery work, I knew alot of the numbers that my company did, and it is demanded in grocery work. Stepping down from it, stepping out of it as my own business, the small numbers alone shocked me to hell. It was truly a rude awakening.

R12, Godspeed my man.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    R12,

I was the same way. I have always liked supermarket work. I just enjoy the rush, at 2 am, you walk in and make it happen.
    R12, Godspeed my man.

Thank you Dow.

R12......

it's great you found a place to land.....and like it. Thanks again for your help with the little town(?) in Texas.
    I always thought that everything was bigger in Texas...if so what happened to Westbrook?
    If every a...... could do this,I wouldn't have a job...

Hey R-12 you see more racks today?

Taylortec we should hook up someday in the next few months to shoot the s##t. The medical is a very hard thing for cantractors to eat it is like 900 to 1100 a month for a family i just got my cobra paperwork.......wow!

I do not know if you would ever want to make a move, but the opportunity may arise where i will need an experienced tech like you if you are interested. Just starting out for now so we will see how it goes with the 5 of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12