Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm curious. What do professional members here have for heating and A/C...

Post Likes

I'm curious. What do professional members here have for heating and A/C...

and do any of you have duct restriction or other problems? If so, what did you do to rectify it, without violating the DIY rules. I'm interested in what professionals do to fix their problems.

Post Likes
    I have an oil fired baseboard heating sytem using a System 2000 EK-2 as the heat source for cold weather. Shoulder seasons and for cooling I use a Bryant 288ANA036 2-stage heat pump as a hybrid heat system and very comfortable cooling system in the summer. I have an electronic air cleaner for my wife's allergies (the variable speed air handler runs 24/7/365 at very low speed for air cleaning) and I don't have any duct problems. I designed the system using Manual 'J' and 'D' and 'S' and the static pressure is .4. I have a totally independent humidier that works only in the coldest weather to maintain between 37% and 45% RH.

Incidentally, I used to have a 10-SEER straight cooling unit and also used that PSC air handler for air cleaning as previously mentioned. But when I installed the newer high efficiency system with VS blower and 2-stage unit, even though I am heating the home with the HP all spring and fall and many days during the winter, my overall electrical consumption dropped 27%, proving that higher efficiency saves energy.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    I have a 2000 ft split level, with 3 zones. The heat is a 100K 2 stage 80% rarely goes into high), and the cooling is a 3 ton HP. Zoning is with a HoneyWell TZ-4, with a bypass. All ductwork is metal. Oh, and an AirBear right angle media filter.

Am looking to change the HP to a 2 stage with a new zone panel.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes

Talking

I got window units. So ducts work is no problem. What is manual F, K J etc..

Post Likes

dual fuel systems

if they break fix them

Post Likes
    I have a Ruud 3-Ton Dual fuel Heat Pump W/ VP IAQ & Air Bear Filter.

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    boiler-takes care of basement, ist floor and second floor floor zones,sidewalk and driveway snow melt,2-a/s 15 seer var speed ahu with how water coils,heatpumps,outdoor reset,all new designed ductwork with all equipment in mechanical room,a 1 comfort level.
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

Post Likes
    Lennox 16 SEER heatpump with whole house filter and Honeywell FocusPro.
    I had it changed out this year even though there was nothing wrong with the (6 year) old system. Too many rebates to pass up. All metal duct, completely sealed, with extra insulation.

Post Likes
    carrier 58mvb w older single stage ac- waiting till ac fails then going to
    add on infinity hp..

changed out a lil ductwork-my house was built in mid 50's-
    all supplys on interior walls-in living room changed return by front door
    ( real cold spot in winter ) to a supply...added a supply near kitchen door-
    another cold area-just correcting orig install mistakes-
    house is way more comfy now on them cold nights

Post Likes
    Geothermal Waterfurnance with DC drive fan. This seems to have solved alot of my airflow issues by keeping air moving at very low flow in the off cycle. This stops all of my hot and cold spots. I'm very happy with it and thank you for my 30% refund on taxes!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by local 392 View Post
    Geothermal Waterfurnance with DC drive fan. This seems to have solved alot of my airflow issues by keeping air moving at very low flow in the off cycle. This stops all of my hot and cold spots. I'm very happy with it and thank you for my 30% refund on taxes!
    Very funny, now stay out of Delta's concourse, we all know their girls are hotter than commair's.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    1984 carrier furnace...68% efficient....a 3 ton coil thats about 4 years old and a 2-1/2 ton 1984 Carrier Air Conditioner. No duct issues...Use a 16x25x1 standard fiberglass filter and change it every 30 days.
    Thomas aka...spymoocow
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Ah, sorry I thought that's what he meant. An inch shouldn't make that much difference (at least that's what I always tell my wife).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul12644 View Post
    and do any of you have duct restriction or other problems? If so, what did you do to rectify it, without violating the DIY rules. I'm interested in what professionals do to fix their problems.
    I'm was lucky when I bought my 2 story home that was built in 1946. My registers are (all) interior high sidewall. The returns are low on the exterior. The ductwork is (old school) quailty craftman built. The A/C has always worked great. I built two room additions with crawl spaces under. I had no choice. Anyway, my furnace is a 18 year old Bryant 95%AFUE, 2-stage, variable-speed. The A/C was hit by lightning and I put in a 2-speed A/C. I wish I had installed a H/P but my wife wanted A/C now and the A/C was in town. I have a Carrier Infinity Air Purifier and a AprilAire model 600A whole house humidifier. I put in a 3 zone damper system and it took care of the heating issues I had with the rooms over the crawl spaces. Also the zone system makes the second floor A/C like a champ. My next move will be geothermal.

Post Likes
    Bought my house in Nov 08
    Pulled out cracked Pulse and installed;
    All Am Std communicating
    Heritage 18 2 stage HP
    3-stage VS 95% Furnace
    Accuclean electronic air cleaner(only mistake, am taking it out and installing Aprilaire 5000)

Very lucky to have got a house with properly sized ductwork, very very comfortable house.

Post Likes
    18 yr old 95%er-i think not
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

Post Likes
    5300 sq ft, in Seattle area also.

4T Rheem 8 YO air-air HP, totally trouble free for that time.
    Plus 4T custom GSHP (4T is the nominal scroll rating), 9.5 GPM, 55F EWT, 42F LWT. -(transfers nearly 5T worth of heat for 3.7kW input, condensor is 7.5T carrier unit, evap shop built)
    Outdoor t-stat switches from air-air to GSHP at 46F air temp.
    Still using old HW Chromotherm t-stat indoors.

Lots of trees on south side, A/C has been run less than 30 hours total in the last 5 years .

All metal ducts, 1" foam insulation on outside.

Post Likes
    Junkhound,

I'm surprised the A/C didn't run a lot last summer. It was between 105 and 108 degrees for 3 or 4 days in a row in Redmond last year. That's why I decided to get a heat pump this year. For me, it was unbearable.

Post Likes
    I've got a goodman 95% var speed 2-stage furnace running propane.....nat gas is coming soon! 16 seer single stage for AC honeywell IAQ and truesteam humidifier
    ductwork is all solid pipe
    and I really want an electronic air cleaner!

Post Likes
    2800 sq-ft, 3 zones. Two zones are ClimateMaster ground source heat pumps, and the new addition has a Goodman 10 SEER air source.

Paul

Post Likes
    I'm lucky, my '74-era Austin TX house was last owned by a decent HVAC contractor. The 15-yr old system he installed is ~13 SEER, all sheet-metal ductwork, Aprilaire filter, 80% gas furnace. Looks old and not real fancy but runs like a dream. Gas and electricity bills never exceed $100 in my 2150sf house.

My DFW house I'll close on next month, contractor special for that tract neighborhood, but luckily it looks like he was also a decent contractor. 2005 home with ~13 SEER unit, sized correctly for heat load, good duct and filter sizing, and sealed well. Looks like I've been pretty fortunate all around. Also will insulate and add a Daiken 22SEER/16EER (no typo) Quaternity mini-split in the garage.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in