Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRIEA System

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yes I understand that its like a chiller. But a chiller needs a heat source!! Ground loops, cooling tower, boiler etc...

A heat pump can move heat from one place but it can't just produce heat from nothing!! A little bit maybe from the waste compressor heat.

If you think its a good idea Joe please explain the physics behind it!
    Let me see if I can express this in a way that makes sense.
    OK, so for now let's just figure 2- 50 gallon tanks of water one on either side of a compressor sitting between them. One is a water cooled condenser coil and the other is basically a chiller barrel. Just looking at the heating side, Figure that the water temp of both tanks start out at 50F.

We start the compressor the refrigerant goes into the tank that is the water cooled condenser. Then into a metering device near the other drum acting as a chiller, where the refrigerant will boil off absorbing heat in the process and lowering the temperature of the water in the chiller tank. Then the superheated gas goes back to the compressor where it is compressed and send to the barrel with the condenser in it. Here the gas will give up it's heat into the cooler water causing the refrigerant to condense back into a liquid where the process will continue again and again. In addition to condensing the refrigerant into a liquid, the water in the "condenser barrel" will raise in temperature. Which can then be used to heat the structure.

As this cycle continues the water in the "chiller tank" will get colder & colder and the water in the "condenser tank" will get hotter and hotter until some sort of set point is made.

This is the way I figure it would work. I am sure there are a few other things going on. Seems like it would be a pretty efficient system. Anyway that is the physics that would take place as I see it. If I missed something let me know. I may be looking at the thing completely wrong.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Let me see if I can express this in a way that makes sense.
    OK, so for now let's just figure 2- 50 gallon tanks of water one on either side of a compressor sitting between them. One is a water cooled condenser coil and the other is basically a chiller barrel. Just looking at the heating side, Figure that the water temp of both tanks start out at 50F.

We start the compressor the refrigerant goes into the tank that is the water cooled condenser. Then into a metering device near the other drum acting as a chiller, where the refrigerant will boil off absorbing heat in the process and lowering the temperature of the water in the chiller tank. Then the superheated gas goes back to the compressor where it is compressed and send to the barrel with the condenser in it. Here the gas will give up it's heat into the cooler water causing the refrigerant to condense back into a liquid where the process will continue again and again. In addition to condensing the refrigerant into a liquid, the water in the "condenser barrel" will raise in temperature. Which can then be used to heat the structure.

As this cycle continues the water in the "chiller tank" will get colder & colder and the water in the "condenser tank" will get hotter and hotter until some sort of set point is made.

This is the way I figure it would work. I am sure there are a few other things going on. Seems like it would be a pretty efficient system. Anyway that is the physics that would take place as I see it. If I missed something let me know. I may be looking at the thing completely wrong.
    Yes I understand how chillers work.

OK you have a 50 gal tank full of hot water, how long will that heat a house in cold weather? an hour? 2 hours? Then what??? The water in the other tank is ice cold, where is it going to get more heat from???

Your concept is wrong, according to Tom Luginbill above, this system needs a heat source, a 50 gal tank of water is not an endless heat source.

In your example of both tanks starting at 50 the cold tank will be at 10 when the hot tank reaches 90 (maybe a little higher like 100 due to the heat gained from the compressor).

Now Joe, how can you heat the house with 100 water? and if you do heat it for a few minutes with it remember the cold tank is at 10 yet and you're going to have a hard time extracting more heat from it.

Care to explain it to me?

I don't have all the answers to this

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Yes I understand how chillers work.

OK you have a 50 gal tank full of hot water, how long will that heat a house in cold weather? an hour? 2 hours? Then what??? The water in the other tank is ice cold, where is it going to get more heat from???

Your concept is wrong, according to Tom Luginbill above, this system needs a heat source, a 50 gal tank of water is not an endless heat source.

In your example of both tanks starting at 50 the cold tank will be at 10 when the hot tank reaches 90 (maybe a little higher like 100 due to the heat gained from the compressor).

Now Joe, how can you heat the house with 100 water? and if you do heat it for a few minutes with it remember the cold tank is at 10 yet and you're going to have a hard time extracting more heat from it.

Care to explain it to me?
    I do not work for Triea. I don't know all the details of the operation of their equipment. I do see your point. Not sure where the additional heat is going to come from. I was merely stating the the basic principle was pretty sound as water retains its temperature a lot better than air.

The company does have several of these units up and running so I am sure that someone from Triea could answer where the heat is coming from better than me. I does have to come from somewhere.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Hmm Triea Heat Sourse Is Sh!t - Literally! Chicken Droppings & Solar Hot Water

See the literature link below -

http://www.trieasystems.com/literature

I was interested in this at the residential level. But, it is clear it is not ready for prime time yet. It seems that if a heat source is around, the system works wonderfully. Too bad I don't have a shed with tons of fermenting chicken feces in my backyard....come to think of it maybe that's a good thing!

I hope they work out the bugs.

I had the 'engineer guy' who left Triea to start his own business, come out to my house. Since I already have photovoltaics covering all of my roof [he wanted to put solar hot water panels on the roof] he was not interested in giving me a quote. Seems they NEED that heat source.

Timinmd1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12