4 ton evaporator coil leaking.

Hey guys this is my first post.
    I have two Frigidaire a/c units on my home. A 3 ton and a 4 ton each using Copeland scroll compressors.. Each cooling seperate parts of the house. These were installed when I built the house in 1999. They have worked great until this last summer. The 4 ton unit has run low on R-22 a couple of times. Froze up the first time, not as bad the second because I was monitoring the gas pressures every couple of weeks with my gauges. I have over the winter looked for this leak and come to the conclusion that its the evaporator coil. The reason I think this is because I have an electronic R-22 leak detector (borrowed from work). The detector goes nuts when I take off the panel and put it up close to the evaporator coils. Does this sound like an early failure of an evaporator core? 11 years? I ask people and I always get "Frigidaire stuff is cheap" "be happy you got 11 years service". Is this the general concensus of the forum? My 3 ton unit has never given me a smudge of problems. Works like a champ.

What could have caused this? Moisture in the system creating acid?

Sounds like a coil failure, but the repair isn't DIY friendly - find a good hvac contractor.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Sounds like a coil failure, but the repair isn't DIY friendly - find a good hvac contractor.
    Oh yea I have identified the contractor. I was just wondering if 11 years is too early for an evaporator failure. If I just get the evaporator changed is the condensing unit next? Guess I should get an acid test too.

Don't overlook vibration sources as a possible culprit. If needed, dirty or imbalanced blower wheels should be resolved while/during coil replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by pochejp View Post
    Oh yea I have identified the contractor. I was just wondering if 11 years is too early for an evaporator failure. If I just get the evaporator changed is the condensing unit next? Guess I should get an acid test too.

Evap coil failures are probably more common than condenser failures because they're exposed to moisture and VOCs all the time, but anything can happen.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Un fortunatley it is what it is. That was one of the first things I learned in the trade. Coming from a refer backround. Iv'e seen brand new coils leak that weren't even two days all the way to few monthes old built by various man fail. Lets face it it humans, and man aren't perfect. and alot of these systems were built and installed properly. I'm not wishing anyone bad luck, grief or anything, but if HVAC/R stuff did not break all the time we as techs wouldn't have jobs, the same goes for doctors, lawyers, funeral homes, or whatever. The only way I would say something is cheap or junk is if the they perticular evap to be exact that model, type was failing in a similar way at a certain spot by the hundreds or thousands, LOL kinda like toyotas
    I'm not trying to start anything but how do U now Frigid aire stuff is cheap "just because youv'e had acoil leak in 11 yrs. and by what people say"
    Even I don't know to much about frigid aire and I'm a seasoned com hvac/ refer man. True mechs/ techs don't ever make asumptions "such as its cheap", with out experincing it thay goes with everything, everytrade. Maybe like the other guys said blower wheel is dirty and outa balance, maybe voc's or some chemical stuff going on, maybe copper rubbing copper. You may both get a new evap and cond unit and they be installed right and they could both fail in two weeks.